Semi WIP, have questions, need some opinions

CTaylorJr

2 weeks ago I had a fellow provide me with an old file with the request that I make a hybrid Bowie/bayonet knife for him. He also gave me a drawing of what he wanted blade and handle wise.

Due to the nature of this project, and knowing the person, I asked for a down payment; he is known for NOT paying bills... :what!:

Well, my thoughts were correct, he has moved off and told me to not worry about the knife and to sell it to someone else... Well, I have a lot of time invested in this thing and now have to figure out what to do with it... Anyone interested in a raffle? :biggrin: :lol:

The file is an OLD Nicholson and the handle is made from black walnut (20 years old, but NOT stabilized). Once complete there will be a mosaic pin inserted into the handle.

Now, this is where I need some opinions... My wife is my BEST critic of my work, and she has said that she sees an imbalance between handle and blade.

BEFORE I do anything with this handle that has a lot of work put into it, I want a few folks to give me their opinion...

OAL: 13 1/4"
Blade: 7 3/4" x 1"
Handle: 5 1/2"

So, rework the handle, make a NEW handle, or finish it as is...

Here are some pics...

Charlie

Last edited:
Not sure what your wife see's,but I think I see the same thing.
I would probably take a little off the length and thickness
of the handle.Save your mosiac pins,and use a couple of
1/8 brass pins,and use this one for practice.
Take the money that the coustomer gave,and get you some
known steel,1095 is a good starting place,and it is cheap.

If you need some,and you will send me your address,
I will send you a few pieces of handle material.
Good luck,

God bless,Keith

Thanks Keith,

After looking at it a LOT more, and handling it a bit, I'm seeing the bulk as well. As I said, this was done for a guy based on his drawings. He does a lot of period play and wanted this to match his outfits when he is in costume on the weekends.

As for steel, I typically use O1 or 1095. The file knives I have done have been from requests, only for the most part.

I appreciate the offer of handle material, but I have quite a bit of different woods and laminants here. If I get anything else on the shelf before I turn some of it into knives the wife may get a bit persnickity.

Chances are, this knife will go into the case with some others that I have made, but don't want to, or would not sell.

Charlie

I would say the handle needs to go on a diet and loose some length/reshape the tail end.
Trace the handle on paper and make refinements to it, place the blade on it and repeat until it flows. When the wife says it looks good, then your good to go:thumbup1:

I would say the handle needs to go on a diet and loose some length/reshape the tail end.
Trace the handle on paper and make refinements to it, place the blade on it and repeat until it flows. When the wife says it looks good, then your good to go:thumbup1:

My feeling as well.

Will say it was smart of you to listen to the "critique" and not get bent outa shape like I have been known to do. Keep us posted. Dozier

Back