Jig for a clip joint

I'm not following....what's a "clip joint"? I was gona guess, and make a suggestion, but I think I'll wait until you clarify. :)

Ummm 9:30 am is really early for me, I meant clip point. clip point, clip joint amaizing what one wrong little constanant will do to a word.

:) I know what you mean....I was in the shop at 5:30am this morning....had a "rush" repair job to do.

Anyway, if your talking about grinding the "clip" shape, I do that on a flat platen.....all your really doing is making the spine angle downward towards the edge, for a given point along the spine. If your talking about grinding false edges on a clip, that takes time and practice to do free hand.....and since each time you create false edges on a clip, the best jig that I can think of is a MAPP arm for your grinder. As far as I know, there is no such thing as a one size fits all type of jig for grinding false edges. I know makers who built a jig for grinding false edges on a specific blade, and then put the jig away in case they ever built another blade of that type/style.

As for me, I tend to rough false edges in with a 8" contact wheel, then I use a series of files, and diamond hones on the way to finishing them out with hand sanding.

Back