cutting titanium ?

SVanderkolff

I have been using .040 titanium on my liner locks. It is cuttable with the regular bi metal bandsaw blade but it invariably breaks off teeth. Is there a special bandsaw blade that can be purchased for use with the little home metal bandsaws for cutting titanium. 64 1/2 blade I believe.
Thanks
Steve

If your saw will run fast enough you could just friction cut your titanium. I use a 14 TPI blade, but it doesnt really matter it will chip all of the teeth off anyway and then the speed of the saw does the cutting and it will slide through it like butter. Im thinking that the minimum speed needed to friction cut is 3000 FPM. Dont know if this would work for you just thought id throw it out there.

Steve .
I usually use a friction cutting saw but the other day I decided I would try one I have like yours .It had a bi metal blade with 18 teeth per inch and worked very well on a 3/16" piece. Frank

You need a finer blade, the material is getting in the gullets and trying to cut too much at one time. This is why the teeth are breaking off. You should have at least two and preferably three teeth in the cut.

Joe

Higher TPI or friction cut it I use 32 TPI for thin wall bicycle Ti tubing cuts it like butter.

the first time I saw someone cut Ti friction cutting, I could not believe it. It is insanely fast vs. "regular" cutting. Ti is tough on blades "regular" style..

WHen I friction cut Ti I just turn around my wood bandsaw blade to present the smooth end of the blade and it works like butter.
CW

We have a special gulloted (sp) blade for friction cutting. It works awesome! It doesn't actually have teeth. It's kind of difficult to describe. I tried to find a picture online was unable to. Anyway, it cuts extremely well and very fast. We have even cut 1.25 rod with it! It screams like crazy and throws hot titanium needle/chips everywhere but it works great.

Back