Black Palm is a PAIN to work

CTaylorJr

So, I got a guy that wants black palm on one of the slicing knife blanks I acquired. No problem I figured.

Got a block of the stuff 5x5x2 and sliced off a couple of pieces to play with to see how it works for me.

WOW! The black is HARD and the light colored part is SOFT! Move it wrong and the hard portions splinter out, hit a soft spot and you need a new piece it seems. :12: I had heard a couple of folks complain about it in the past, but they complain a lot so I didn't put much stock in it! :lol:

I went slow and easy thus far and got the scales epoxied onto the blade with a pin in it, but now I have to go to the sander with it! :what!: I've already imagined a HARD sliver or 3 in my fingers when it comes to hand finishing with paper.

Now, once sealed (Tung oil) and polished it is a VERY nice looking piece of wood.

Any suggestions on working this without stabilization?

Charlie

P.S. the bubinga ROCKS! :35:

Charlie,
I have worked with the black palm a bit myself and slow and easy is the key, especially when drilling. Sharp tools are a must. I don't "hog" out lots of material at once because you can tear out some grain. But this wood (it's actually a classified as a grass) does polish up like glass and give beautiful results. I still have some black palm in the shop if you end up needing more.
Good luck!
Bruce

I used it on one of my last knives and everyone loved it! I did a super glue finish on it to make sure none of the "thorns" splintered. I am not sure if it was need or not. I had the rest sent out to have it stabilized and should have it back in a week or so.

UncleBilly

good luck I use it a fair amount because its really nice and all my customers like it too. you need to have it stabilized . I wouldnt use it any othr way. kellyw

I think out of 10 pens I tried to turn from the stuff, not stabilized I finally got one pen made out of it the rest of the pieces are still in orbit somewhere. Howard

+2 on the stabilizing, it is much nicer to work with and gives a much better finished product.

Back