Servicemember Knife Build "Recruiting Drive"

Hey Murph, and Justin,

Sign me up. I would be glad to pay for all my materials, heat treat and shipping. I'll pay for a kydex sheath. I have no clue or experience with kydex. And I'll need a time frame.

Greg

I have made recommendations as to what "I" feel is best. This was my opinion. If you are making a knife for this project, the decisions as to what you do should be yours. If you want the knife you make to have a black sheath, make a black sheath. I don't want anyone to feel as though they should allow my opinion to dictate how the knife or sheath is built. If you bend kydex and all you have on hand is "black", build a black sheath. The servicemember who receives your knife is going to be estatic regardless.

For those interested, I have posted a pic of the final design which is heading to Dave. In an attempt to allow a little more room for interpretation and creativity, I added a tiny bit to the width of the blade to give you a little more room to play with. I also posted a concept drawing of what my knife will hopefully look like.

For those interested, I have posted a pic of the final design which is heading to Dave. In an attempt to allow a little more room for interpretation and creativity, I added a tiny bit to the width of the blade to give you a little more room to play with. I also posted a concept drawing of what my knife will hopefully look like.

Where did you post this? I would like to take a look.

Never mind I found it!

Last edited:
Question? I know you have desighned it a certain way but can we change it a little to accomidate our own twist on things or are these to be all the same? I am talking about gind lines and handle texture. I was thinking about putting some thumb grip along the top aswell. Is this cool or should I not have asked? I dont want to step out of line.

Also what about marking are we going to use a KnifeDogs.com mark on the presentation side and let the maker mark the other side or Vice-versa?

Murph and I talked about this but have not reached a conclusion yet about a logo for the build. In any event it makes little sense to me to have a stencil for every maker, but they can be mailed in a letter envelope so I suppose we could pass them around without too much shipping cost. We may have makers who are not set up to etch, though.

Question? I know you have desighned it a certain way but can we change it a little to accomidate our own twist on things or are these to be all the same? I am talking about gind lines and handle texture. I was thinking about putting some thumb grip along the top aswell. Is this cool or should I not have asked? I dont want to step out of line.

The details are up to the individual maker, feel free to put your own style on it, keeping in mind it's end use.

Question? I know you have desighned it a certain way but can we change it a little to accomidate our own twist on things or are these to be all the same?

Not to be too redundant, but the blank is your canvas. How you grind it or modify it is up to you, but as Justin stated, keep in mid its end use. All that we ask is that you keep it practical for "Joe". As for the jimping on the spine, I think alot of us will be adding that, but I wanted it to be open to each maker's style.

Thanks. I was just looking at it and wanted to incorporate some of the stuff requested by the SF group I am making some knives for. I figured They know what is needed in a knife now. It has been so long since I used a knife in Combat.

Good timing. I have some KnifeDogs logo stencils on order if you want to it. That is entirely up to you all.

Murph,
I'm happy to donate some handle material, carbon fiber, black canvas micarta, brown paper base micarta. Let me know if I can help.
Bruce

What is the deadline for the builds , I have a few Christmas orders and still have to put my shop together. I would be in for building one or two if its in Jan.

I have a block of Green Canvas Micarta 14" X 18" X 2.5" thick. I will cut it and send it to people if they want to use it on these knives.

I am just catching up on the thread. I will work on the Spec Ops sheaths tomorrow and advise. Murph can you let me know how many sheaths we may need. I can make the initial contact and then let them know. If memory serve me correctly, we got 25 sheaths donated last time. We'll see if they can help us again, they were very gracious last time.

This is awesome, I just got new belts and im ready to grind also if we decide to go with the knife dogs logo I am set up to etch.
Thanks to all for your support of our trops
God Bless
Roney

I'm in. Love to help the troops. I have micarta, kydex, and corby fasteners. I got tek lok ordered from the Boss so I should be set.

Thank you Cal. We had already pulled your name in from the other thread I guess. It was either that, or you were drafted and just hadn't received you notification yet.

Sheaths

I have an email out this morning to Spec Ops to see what they may be willing to do to help us with some Combat Master sheaths :cool:. As soon as I hear, I'll let ya'll know.

Back