my first scratch build.....

rjarois

hello fellas....although this is my second knife, this is my first scratch build.....the blade is 5/32in. thick D-2 metal. i had the d-2 commercially heat treat to 59 R/C...the bolsters and pins are Nickel silver material. the handle is spalted maple. the sheath is .060 concelex. i used a 15deg. dovetail handle joint. for my first scratch build, I'm pretty happy with it. peace, randy.
001-131.jpg

002-134.jpg

003-129.jpg

007-63.jpg

008-44.jpg

004-104.jpg

thanks fellas, your to kind....as of now ther is 3 coats of tung oil on the handle. i am trying to research "wood finishing" as i do not know anything about it. do i use a sealer of some sort? or does the tung oil seal it. thanks for any input. randy.

I have never used Spalted Maple,but I'm thinking that is one that should be stabilized
but I am sure someone that knows more than I will be along with some more info.
Good job on the knife,learn from your mistakes,and go make another.

God bless,Keith

Nice work! I've not used spalted maple but what I use on my wood handles is three coats of neatsfoot oil, let it soak in between coats, and two or three coats of Renaissance wax, rub it in real good before and after each coat. I take the wood to 1500 grit paper before I finish.
Hope this helps.
You can also buff it with white buffing compound, this is what I used to do, but that can dirty up softer woods.

Back