AK-47/74 Thread

Bill Coye

Knife Maker
Yeah, we know you got one.

013.jpg

Romanian WASR-10 after I refinished the furniture. Hit it with 250 and 400 grit, a little RIT "Wine" colored fabric dye, five coats of Danish oil and some wax and it looks much better.

Bulgarian steel magazine

BC

Last edited:
Wish I still had the one I carried as a back up in Iraq. It was a brand new paratrooper model with a really short (approx. 10") barrell. Still had cosmalene in the receiver when we confiscated it from an insurgent. That thing sure was pretty.

Yep, it was an under folder. I'm not real familiar with all of the different types of AKs. They all sound the same when being fired at you.

Bill, if I remember correctly we could ship back bolt action or semi-auto Chicoms but if we wanted to ship an AK the barrel had to be filled with lead so that it wouldn't fire. I had a brand new Swedish K (looked a lot like the old "Grease Gun") that still had the bluing on the firing pin. It didn't climb like the WWII grease gun - it had very little climb at all. I was going to break it down and pack it inside the guts of a mini-refrigerator but I chickened out at the last minute and sold it. At the time, all I wanted to do was get home without any hassles. Other than taking off in near typhoon conditions (the wind was getting under the wings of the plane trying to flip it over) and then missing the runway in Oakland (first touchdown was in the Bay, second and third were in the sand, fourth was on the runway) it was a very uneventful trip. We gave the pilot 3 "touch and goes" for his effort at Oakland.

Bill, if I remember correctly we could ship back bolt action or semi-auto Chicoms but if we wanted to ship an AK the barrel had to be filled with lead so that it wouldn't fire. I had a brand new Swedish K (looked a lot like the old "Grease Gun") that still had the bluing on the firing pin. It didn't climb like the WWII grease gun - it had very little climb at all. I was going to break it down and pack it inside the guts of a mini-refrigerator but I chickened out at the last minute and sold it. At the time, all I wanted to do was get home without any hassles. Other than taking off in near typhoon conditions (the wind was getting under the wings of the plane trying to flip it over) and then missing the runway in Oakland (first touchdown was in the Bay, second and third were in the sand, fourth was on the runway) it was a very uneventful trip. We gave the pilot 3 "touch and goes" for his effort at Oakland.

Interesting. I wasn't sure of the restrictions, if any. Can't blame you for dumping the Swiss K.

Yes, those pilots have to have so many touch-and-goes to keep their rating :)

Really? No AKs........?

Yugo M70 under folder. A little trench art on the furniture.
The year '93 scratched into the fore grip is significant in that the war in Bosnia/seige of Sarajevo was in full swing. My understanding is that the Serbian army didn't allow carving of their property but there were plenty of militia groups roaming the countryside.

IMG_1999.jpg

Last edited:
OK, now I need an AK..

I'm shutting the place down..it's costing me a fortune but if it ever hits the fan, I'm going to have all the firepower I need..

There are a lot of really good ones out there (and some not so good).

I'm am growing to really like the AK platform and have two being built as we speak. Reliable and cheap to shoot.

Next: the AK 74 5.45

:)

Sadly, this is the last pic I have of my M96 Swede... :( Sold it last year because things got tight 'round here... but that's my number matching SKS and Model 10-5 S&W that both came from my grandfather... :)

2010-05-25%2014.09.51.jpg

Back