Knife #13 Finished - First Balisong

Erin Burke

Hey Guys,

This is my 13th knife, and my first folder of any kind. I've always been into balisongs, and had been planning to build one for a while. This one is going to replace the BM-42mc as my EDC. :rockon:

Some Stats:
Open Length: 8" (maybe just a hair over - does not include protruding latch)
Closed Length: 4-13/16"
Blade Length: 3-3/8" Tip to Plunge (hollow-ground differentially heat-treated)
Steel: 1080 from Kelly Cupples
Handles: 6AL-4V Titanium w/ hand-bent titanium pocket clip and stainless hardware/latch
Pivots: 3/16" pivots w/ 1/4" bushings and PB washers

5107992902_e47bfdcc57_o.jpg

5107396365_574f63c56c_o.jpg

5107396563_df812500c3_o.jpg

Below is a quick video that I took to show that it does, in fact, work.

[youtube]Rz6IJvZ4k90[/youtube]

I don't have the mad flipping skillz that some folks have... and my videography skills arent' that great either. But tell me what you think of the knife.

Erin

If you're interested in the construction process for this knife, you can see a WIP thread HERE.

Last edited:
That looks great Erin, specialy for a first Balisong. Nice blade shape and the handle looks as if it would be very comfortable in hand when in the open position.

IIIIII like it!!! It has a really unique shape. The video was really cool. Reminded me of when I was 16 when I had one. Oh the time spent fliping and getting cut... Nice work!!

I just noticed that you can see the blue play-doh that I used to prop up the knife in the third photo. :shush: Dang... I should have caught that in post-production. :3:

Very nice! what did you use for a spring in the latch?

Les,
If you take a look at Post #12 in the WIP thread, you can see a photo of the spring(s). It is a 0.0938" OD by 0.50" long spring from MSC (Part No. 91666503). I am, however, not entirely satisfied with the spring, so I think that I will re-fit with something a bit bigger when I place my next order.

Cool, I didn't look at the WIP. I've wanted to do a spring latch for a long time but I thought it was protected by BM, then I found out a couple years ago that they are not protecting the one with the simple extension spring.

Thanks

Back