Satin finish

Tcurry

I was looking through some of the pics and was wondering how you guys get that satin looking finish on the blades. Is it blueing? Or is it a special forging process. Im eager to learn all i can.

TC

It is a polishing process. It grind my blades out to 400 grit then use a fine Scotchbrite belt to give me the scratch pattern that I want. Some have then gone over the blade with 0000 steel wool but I don't see any advantage with it but you might give it a try. The worst that would happen is that you would have to go over it again with the Scotchbrite belt again if you didn't like the effect. If you don't have a belt grinder, you could take it out to a 400 grit with sand paper or polishing stones and then use a Scotchbrite pad. To me a satin finish makes more sense than a mirror finish on a user, though if I ever make a "looker" I may have to learn how to do one of those deep mirrow finishes.

Doug Lester

Thank you, I will give it a try. Any thoughts on blueing the blades? I like the look but dont know about practicality on a "user" blade.

Good info Doug, thanks.

What if one does not have a ScotchBrite belt for a grinder, what can be used instead? (for a satin finish)

Thanks, Dozier

Dozier I was tuaght to hand sand way past 600 grit on the blade and then come back to 600 grit paper and not using any oil or water sand from the bolster end to the tip by pulling the sand paper towards you. You must use your fingers on the paper to ensure that the paper goes down and follow the shape of the blade. At he end of the pulling motion lift he sand paper and start at the bolster end again, repeat 4 - 6 times a side.

Pieter, thanks. Fingers to follow the blade, understood. I didn't seem some of my "dimples" until the blade got really smooth.
Dozier

Back