Putting on final edge

JC in SC

I think putting on the final edge is pretty straight forward for makers that have access to a reasonable beld grinder. This was one of the major reasons behind my recent investigation into purchasing a real belt grinder. I've been avoiding putting an edge on my first slip joint until I got my grinder set up; however, I've come to the realization that purchasing a 'real' grinder is still a little ways off for me. How are you guys that don't have a grinder putting your final edges on? I was concerned about warpage during heat treat, so I left the edge kind of thick on this one, a decision that I'm now regretting. It is ~0.045" thick at the edge, so I've got a lot of work to do. I just need to know how best to go about doing it while achieving symmetric and consistent bevels. Should I invest in one of the sharpening systems? If so, what would you recommend?

It’s good that you left the edge thick. It’s bad to have it thin and ruin your blade that you have worked hard on during heat treating.

Several ways to do this,
1) Sandpaper and flat piece of steel, such has a file. Rap the paper on the steel and use like a file.
2) Sandpaper and flat surface, such as thick glass or granite/marble. Spray glue the sandpaper to the flat surface and use like whetstone in reverse.
3) Buy a cheap 1x30 belt grinder for doing all kind of little things. You can even get leather belts for it to do your finial edge.

Agreed, #3) Sears 2x42 for $125 or so. Multiple users here. Fast, so you gotta take it easy. Gator belts are nice on it though. Dozier

It looks like the 1x30's are even cheaper than that, BUT you've gotta Get what you Pay for at some point... (1x30 @ Harbor Frieght is $59 w/o disc and $79 w/ disc)

BRad You dont want the harbor fright 1x30 that is what i use it would be ok for just sharpening but you would get more use out of the sears 2"x42". I do use my grinder for all my knife grinding but i am in the process of building something better.

I did all of my grinding on a 1x42 from grizzly ($130) for a long time before I bought a KMG. and I still use the griz for a lot of things, it's a good investment. get the one with a 8" disk, you will probably use it a lot. you can get any belt you could want for it at trugrit.com.
Good luck, and have fun!

Back