Need some work done on an old knife

T

Tyler Anderson

I have a old old schrade knife that was my grand fathers. i found it in a shed on the farm and dad told me it was his, so it obviously was not to near and dear to him but i want to get it fixed up and keep it. the blade is tarnished and when i was a kid i decided want wanted to put my intitials on the handle with a dremmel and messe it all up. i would like the have the handles removed and replaced with g10 with some texture, and the blade polished back out and sharpened. would also like to have a leather sheath made for it. thanks for the help guys any volunteers or suggestions would be appreciated. prices and all would be nice.

also im not set on the g10 handles if anyone wants to suggest something different.

My honest opinion would be to get some old denim and some WD-40 and put some elbow grease into the blades and alot of Q-tips into cleaning up the inside of the frame. I wouldn't touch the scales as it will change the overall look of the knife and your memories.

Just my $0.02

the knife is at my mom and dads house i will get a picture up soon. and i understand your point murphda; but i have some other knives of a more sentimental value that i will keep as they are, i think this knife would make an excellent skinner and would like to get it back to new condition. i have others of his as i said and from where i found this one it obviously was not too important. but i think the steel is probably good just because most everything else made back then was built to last.

Is it a fixed, or folder?
If it's a fixed blade,you can probably do the work yourself easily enough,and earn a great feeling doing it.
There's lots of great info here that would guide you in doing it yourself,and the pride you'd feel
every time you held the knife would be a life-long treasure.

Im in Virginia. it is a fixed blade, i could probably do it myself but i would hate to mess something up since i am new to all this. and also i know i cant make the leather sheath at this point

Get several pictures in natural light from MANY different angles and I'll bet one or 3 folks will chime in with suggestions and assist you in getting the knife back in shape.

Charlie

Get several pictures in natural light from MANY different angles and I'll bet one or 3 folks will chime in with suggestions and assist you in getting the knife back in shape.

Charlie
alright will do that soon, sorry im a lil slow getting back on here and with the pictures. I have been crazy busy and on the road A LOT

Back