What sort of safety precautions or equipment do you use?

I'm interested in what kind of precautions or equipment everyone uses that may add to their safety? Since I sliced a piece of my finger off while polishing I made myself an aluminum holder for my knife while polishing.

I know you're new here, so I'll give you a free one. If you start talking about cool little holders, jigs, or any other kind of tools that you use, you have to post pics of them :D . So, let's see it.

Ouch ! honestly dont use enough just safety glasses, Ear plugs and some time a dust mask.

The very best safety equipment any knifemaker can use is common sense, and a healthy respect for everything you do in the shop. That's not meant to be a "smart-***" response...it's meant to hopefully help folks to realize that any time you let your mind wonder, or loose your concentration, your chances for personal injury go through the roof.

Otherwise I have most of the "standard" safety items in the shop.... safety glasses, respirators, various types of gloves, aprons, a dust system which is built into the shop...but all of those things are worthless unless I apply them in their intended fashions. Again, presence of mind and "keeping your head in the game" will save you more often than the gear!

RODNEY!! You picked a bad place to say you only use a dust mask....and only us it "sometimes"!! Coming from someone who lost part of his right lung because he was lax about using a respirator.... GET YOURSELF A GOOD RESPIRATOR AND WEAR IT!!!!

Last edited:
Safety? Is this supposed to be safe? These are only a couple of injuries I've sustained. The thumbs are routine, but the scalping was not. (As you can see, they can rebuild you!) Plenty of cuts and scrapes, and a few scars.

I wear a respirator when I'm making dust, glasses when turning or drilling, and gloves when grinding and heat treating. When working carbon fiber I set up my Square Wheel as in the picture with a sponge running on the belts and plenty of water to control the dust. I also wear latex gloves and of course the respirator. It makes a nasty mess!

David

Attachments

• BillsSH48.jpg
    BillsSH48.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 32
  • HollowHead2.jpg
    HollowHead2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 29
  • Hollow(head)Grind2.jpg
    Hollow(head)Grind2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 29
  • WarpSpeedRaptor9.jpg
    WarpSpeedRaptor9.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 36
I have a tip nobody has mentioned: You can be as safety conscious as possible but if someone comes into the shop and startles you bad things can happen. I have instructed the family that if I am running a machine leave me be. If I am working on a sharp blade DO NOT tap me on the shoulder. Even the grandkids know that if a machine is running - stay away. These rules help to keep me AND innocent bystanders safe.

I have a tip nobody has mentioned: You can be as safety conscious as possible but if someone comes into the shop and startles you bad things can happen. I have instructed the family that if I am running a machine leave me be. If I am working on a sharp blade DO NOT tap me on the shoulder. Even the grandkids know that if a machine is running - stay away. These rules help to keep me AND innocent bystanders safe.

Yup, if my family hears a piece of equipment going.......stay away.
Other than that, superglue, duct tape,....butterfly's for the really bad ones.
Good gloves when forging, proper eye protection is a must.
Side note: I HAD a centerfold pin-up in my shop where I used to hang my glasses. Written underneath was an added caption "This means nothing to a blind man, wear those glasses!"
After my wife saw it,......well,.......I've still got the nail to hang the glasses on.

Along with what Ed said about common sense, I try to ask myself "If it slips where will it go?" It can be a tool, a blade, your hand or any other body parts.

I now wear a base ball cap when using the Grizzly because I accidentally sanded my forehead a little one day.

Ric

Hey David, I like the Florence Henderson hair!
But seriously, besides sporting the usual accessories, I always try to be aware of where my fingers are when I'm grinding. It only takes one close call with the back side of a grinding belt, where it meets the wheel, to make one uncomfortably aware of how easy it is to get a finger caught.

This was a problem that I also had,until one day my wife came in
and startled me,and I run my knuckle into a 50 grit Blaze,after which we
had a family meeting,now if it can't wait,they call me on my phone,
which is always in my pocket.

God bless,Keith

Yep, gloves glasses and common sense. That's about the best you can do. Tools are inherently dangerous and you can't prevent all injuries. The worst one I've had in years came from trying to separate some frozen hamburgers with a pampered chef serrated spatula... Did I mention that I use power tools, farm equipment and construction equipment every day? Who'd a thunk I'd remove the end of my thumb with a spatula?

I now wear a base ball cap when using the Grizzly because I accidentally sanded my forehead a little one day.

You REALLY need to change something. I do all grinding standing up, not bent over. You don't need to look between the blade and belt, look at the sparks coming out below. These will tell you if you have an even grind going. If you need to grind a special area, the sparks will tell you if you are in the right place.

I wear a hat to prevent the sparks from making the circle and getting thrown at my face or the top of my head. The BURN a bit.

Safety glasses, Safety glasses, Safety glasses, Safety glasses, Safety glasses, Safety glasses, Safety glasses, Safety glasses, Safety glasses, Safety glasses.

I think you guys have all covered it. With lack of a local outlet for a good leather apron, I purchased a welders jacket I wear when in the shop. It seems to work pretty well for protecting me from sparks when grinding and heat from the forge. When doing heavy grinding, I not only wear safety glasses, but also a full face shield. If I'm taking off alot of stock with a 60 grit belt, I find that safety glasses just aren't enough protection. I also always cover my head with a hat or bandana (hot sparks hurt when they hit a bald head).

I know I was joking around alot in my initial response to your post, but I really would like to see your holder you built for when you are polishing blades.

I know this can be a problem. My wife flicks the light quickly to grab my attention. This seems to work well for us.

I think you guys have all covered it. With lack of a local outlet for a good leather apron, I purchased a welders jacket I wear when in the shop. It seems to work pretty well for protecting me from sparks when grinding and heat from the forge. When doing heavy grinding, I not only wear safety glasses, but also a full face shield. If I'm taking off alot of stock with a 60 grit belt, I find that safety glasses just aren't enough protection. I also always cover my head with a hat or bandana (hot sparks hurt when they hit a bald head).

I know I was joking around alot in my initial response to your post, but I really would like to see your holder you built for when you are polishing blades.
I will post a picture soon. Thanks for all the input .

Gut reaction is to try and catch a dropped or falling knife. Train yourself to let it go.

This tip is one of the most important ones here, especialy at the buff.

Gut reaction is to try and catch a dropped or falling knife. Train yourself to let it go.

How true this is.I spent 14 years in a machine shop.No matter how many times you
would tell guys,let it hit the ground,they were going to try and catch it every time.
LET IT GO! I garrantee you,most every time,it will stop when it hits the floor.

God bless,Keith

Back