Pushy Joe Public

petie

I would like to know how all the other knifemakers put up with the public ordering a knife today and wanting to come pick it up tommorrow. For this reason I will no longer be taking orders. I started making knives because I enjoy working with my hands and I love a good knife. I've got two orders of 5 knives total to fill and then I'll be making the knives I want to make at my own pace and to the specs I want to make them. If somebody wants to buy one fine if not I'll put in on the shelf. Sorry just had to vent about that. :sad:

I take orders if they are something I would like to make. Many times customers says something like "I'm a deer hunter" and then give me full artistic license. I make the knife, send them a picture and a price, and they choose to buy it or pass. That covers about 75% of the requests I get.

The other 25% are requests for knives I would not choose to make for myself. Klingon battle daggers, Rambo wannbe knives, and copies of knife patterns that I just don't like are prime examples. I say no 50% of the time I am contacted about making a knife because I have several orders in and I don't like being back logged or they want something I don't want to make. The word NO is a friend to the hobby knife maker.

Taking orders just about pushed me out of knife making entirely. I had one last very difficult order to fill and then I never took another after that. I immediately felt better about it. This wasn't too hard, I wasn't (I'm still not) a full time maker trying to make a living off of knives. They don't always have the luxury of not taking orders.

I'm not trying to jump on the bandwagon, but I have to agree with Boss and Squawsach. I work full time and have a family...I try to get in the shop as time permits. In a good year, I'll get 15-20 knives finished. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to increase that number, but that's all that my schedule permits at this point. I do take orders, but mostly by word of mouth. I usually tell people it will be six months at a minimum (unless it's for someone coming up on a deployment, then I'll move it up in the queue). If they get in in four, then that makes them happy, and I can check one thing off the list.

Basically, I'll discuss what they want with them, then send a sketch in a few days for approval. When we come up with an agreed design, I'll get started. I try to send a few shots along the way so I don't waste too much time if things aren't going in the direction the would want. I don't take deposits. I think that takes the pressure off on both sides.

I guess my point is: Be conservative with your deadlines. Let your perspective buyer know your circumstances, and give yourself a good window for "real-life" to take it's course. If you you are getting behind schedule, let the customer know. Communication is the key.

I'm just going to make them the way I want to and if someone wants one they can pick from what is already made.

I'm just going to make them the way I want to and if someone wants one they can pick from what is already made.
That's pretty much where I have ended up. No reason to be out in the shop with a monkey on your back, most of us can go to our day jobs to get that. Just be sure you're making something you don't mind holding onto for a while.

Petie, have you thought what you'll do when you have 25 knives sitting on your shelf and no one wants them, but wouldn't mind you making some other model? Not taking orders is fine if you're making knives as a hobby and you have a regular job. However, if you're a full time professional maker and you don't have another source of income you have to learn how to deal with people, and you take orders. In 3 decades of doing this, 21 years full time, I've only had a couple of customers who were impatient, one of whom expected his knife pushed to the front of the line because of his position within the collecting community. I cancelled his order for that and other reasons. Otherwise, my customers know they have to wait and are willing to do so. If you can't deal with people or refuse to learn how you can wind up being the largest collector of your own knives!

David

Petie, I feel ya,
yet... I have to say, I really like the process of dealing with my customers.. I have made many friends and ment many great folks over the years because of doing custom orders...
I enjoy the design aspects, and the challenges, and the pleasure of making a customers "dream knife".. a reality!! Its soothing I love.. :D

I do careful screen customers and there ideas, b4 I agree to anything.. and if the design is awesome.. Im down.. if It needs adjustment, I communicate what I would do and why..Handle shapes are normally where there needs to be mods to most designs. Most times they are agreeably! After we agree on the design and materials.. The rest is CAKE!

I always allow myself a workable time frame.. and like Mark said, keep them informed of the status of there order and any changes that I have to make in the schedule or design. Communication is Key!

I tell ya what, any of you guys that have requests your not taking, can you send them my way, :)

And if your reading this and have been thinking about having a knife made, Pssst,,, Call me! lolol

God bless

I respect the opinion of the full time makers who do customer designs and give you full credit for making it work the way you do it. But if customer designs were really where it is all at, high end production companies would not exist, and the fact is that they often thrive. Market research is a very important part of the design process for a maker who wants to sell his own designs. Working from this angle does not automatically put one out of touch with his customer base, but it does require one to take a crash course in what sells and what dosen't. The 10th knife collecting dust on your shelf should be enough to tell you that you need to change something.

Petie,
You should always make what you like. That's not saying you should try new things, but just make sure it's something you can put yourself into 110%. I don't take a lot of orders because I don't have the time. I take about 15 to 20 orders a year and keep a list running of those interested. I contact these people when I open my orders up and then we discuss which one of my models they want. I will definitely take on new ideas from customers. That can help you come up with a new design you would have never thought of. I also try to pace myself though so I can work on new ideas and designs so I don't get bored making 20 of the same thing. It's hard, but if it's your hobby like it sounds like it is, enjoy it.
-John

It's my hobby. I've been a carpenter/woodworker since I was in middle school. When I started making knives I found a way of combining what I'd been doing almost my whole with something that was a whole new area. I've made lots of furniture and was never more proud of a piece if furniture than I was that first knife. I'm not doin it for a living. I work full time 64 hrs a week Mon- Fri. If the public wants a knife made in the amount of time it takes them to go to wal mart and pick one up then that's where they need to go. I'm going back to makin them the way I want. Knifemaking used to be how I relaxed on the weekend and forgot all the stupid I had to deal with through the week at work.

If someone wants something I don't already have made I'll be more than happy to send them to you guys. When my shelf gets full I guess I'll just have to start givin em away on KD forum.

Petie,
You should always make what you like. That's not saying you should try new things, but just make sure it's something you can put yourself into 110%. I don't take a lot of orders because I don't have the time. I take about 15 to 20 orders a year and keep a list running of those interested. I contact these people when I open my orders up and then we discuss which one of my models they want. I will definitely take on new ideas from customers. That can help you come up with a new design you would have never thought of. I also try to pace myself though so I can work on new ideas and designs so I don't get bored making 20 of the same thing. It's hard, but if it's your hobby like it sounds like it is, enjoy it.
-John

I think this is a great way to do it.

Every where I look I see all you knife makers on all kind's of forums, I don't know when you have time to make knives. I must be really slow at doing things, but that is ok I'm retired, and a lot of thing that I like to do.

Tell an inquiring customer that you have a 3 month backlog. If they still order the knife you will know if they are serious or not. Then you have 3 months to build the knife when you have time.

I am not a Pushy Joe Public! :9: Ever since I was a kid and ruined my first model car because I was in a hurry, I've known that 'haste makes waste' and then I'd get all 'grumpy'. I've had several knives made over the years (I get ideas but sure as heck can't build 'em like you guys) and never 'pushed' anyone to hurry up! :57:

I enjoy the give and take of producing a knife to a customers specks. The makers experience comes into play by giving the would be owner good guidance and suggestions taken from his experiences. Most customers enjoy this also and it shows your concern for both the outcome of the collaboration and the customers input.
I do not give a date but a ballpark timeframe along with the approximate cost to make the piece.

There is a good middle ground where you can both make what you like and the customer is pleased with his purchase.

Fred

Back