Our Newest Forum....

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
I'll admit I don't know a lot about this side of the knife business but I am looking forward to learning. There is a large group of enthusiasts into Straight Razors.

I have a couple questions for you that know:

1. In knife making there is a standard size scale 1.5"x5". Right or wrong that is what most have settled on. Is there a standard size razor scale?

2. Do most guys that collect these use them also?

thanks for any insight..

I'll admit I don't know a lot about this side of the knife business but I am looking forward to learning. There is a large group of enthusiasts into Straight Razors.

I have a couple questions for you that know:

1. In knife making there is a standard size scale 1.5"x5". Right or wrong that is what most have settled on. Is there a standard size razor scale?

2. Do most guys that collect these use them also?

thanks for any insight..

Just a few words about str8s and their scale dimensions. The average straight razor needs scales 5.5+" x 1" x 1/8" to 5/32" thick. There are special situations where a length of 6" to 6.5 " might be needed.

If you are interested in learning about str8s, go to http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/index.php/Category:Repair_&_Restoration

Please ask questions if you have any....... JERRY

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been interested in trying to make a straight razor. This section might push me over the edge. Thanks Boss, like I didn't have too little free time already..................lol

I've been interested in trying to make a straight razor. This section might push me over the edge. Thanks Boss, like I didn't have too little free time already..................lol

Ryan

One of the members here is heavily into razor making as well as knifemaking. He is Butch Harner and he is in Hanover PA.

He might help you get started. Give him a rattle.

Good luck, JERRY

Jerry,
I've been watching Butch's stuff for a while. Love his razors. He was actually going to be the first guy I contacted when I was ready to give it a go. Thanks!

Jerry
Can you give a little info about the hardware used in making a razor? The spacers, pivot and stop? Where can these be purchased?

Thanks Larry

That is a great site . Maybe someone can be convinced to to a WIP . I'd love to see one of these put together .

Jerry
Can you give a little info about the hardware used in making a razor? The spacers, pivot and stop? Where can these be purchased?

Thanks Larry
___________________________-

Larry

Most razors are pinned at both ends using .062 brass rod or nickel/silver rod with #0 brass and stainless flat washers over the end of the rod and the pins are then peened over onto the washers until they are tight. I peen with a very lightweight chasing hammer. An extremely light touch is called for when peening. Never lift the hammer more than 1/2 inch above the pin. Patience is the watchword so as not to bend the pin.

Some people stray from the pin deal at the hinged end and occasionally use #2-56 TORXHEAD screws with nuts in order to have an adjustable hinge connection. I have done this but pins and washers are more decorative in my book. Screws can be had from microfasteners.com and pins can be had from texasknife.com

You also mentioned about the "stop". I presume you are talking about the third pin found on some razors. There is some debate about its purpose but the general concensus is that its purpose is to act as a spacer to set and maintain the width between the scales so that the tang of the blade can move freely without any pinch.

You might also refer to the "WIKI" at www.straightrazorplace.com for a wealth of info about straight razors. I hope this will get you started learning about the lost art of straight razor shaving and the many different aspects that go with it. There are many thousands of us daily shavers worldwide and we love it................:cool: JERRY

Attachments

• Shaver.jpg
    Shaver.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 127
Jerry,
I've been watching Butch's stuff for a while. Love his razors. He was actually going to be the first guy I contacted when I was ready to give it a go. Thanks!

Ryan

I checked out your website. Your knives are beautiful.
By the way, I have a '78 Silver Anniversary with 6000 original miles.

Let us know if you ever start making straight razors.

Jerry

Jerry,
Thanks for the comment on my knives. I'd love to see pictures of your 78. My first was a 78 in high school. It had been painted white and was a drag strip car for a while. It was pretty beat up, but it was fast lol. I sold it went to college, got married, and told my wife I was buying a c3 before we had kids. Can't see myself never not owning one. Sorry to get off topic, if ain't about knives with me it's about vettes lol.

i will hav eot do a WIP at some point
so far as scales sizes i dont thingkni use what most would so im not the right person to ask about sizes

hey how the hel ca i get the forum to look like it did whenit started (i am not a fan of this click each thread to see the post stuff)

butch go to the support forum. I just posted a couple pictures on how to change the forum layout for message reading..

thanks Tracy im all fixed now
now back to razors

i love the ease of 1/8inch folder pivots in my razors but if you liek the look of a tapered tang or are doing a restore and not starting from scratch the pin and peen method is what you might want ot use

my scales are one piece so i liek 3/8 x1x6 and most the time i can make that fit

I recently purchased these 1/8" folder pivots and they work very well on the bigger blades like Wade & Butcher razors and I will use them whenever the situation calls for it.....

Thanks Tracey as you know I havent been well so its been a while on the forum Im glad the suggestion for this area of the forum is open now for razor people. . Kellyw

Back