h/t thin blade help ??

graveyard

i make neckknife my buddy makes bowie and big knifes we wount to make a cane knife from some 1/8 carbon steel for a ranger vet that well need a cane any advice to h/t a thin blade well be good thanks everyone.

What type of steel are you using? This may be a key factor in deciding how to HT the blade. On stainless steels, alot of guys do the HT prior to grinding the blade.

graveyard, with carbon steel in 1/8" thick stock, just try to grind equal amounts on both sides, as you go, and not getting the blade really hot while grinding, as getting it super hot will add stress in the blade and may cause warpage in the quench, and leave at least .040" thick at the edge before heat treat, around .060" won't hurt just more to grind after heat treat. I like to quench point down in the oil. 1/8" is not difficult to heat treat, unless maybe it is a really long blade. For stainless and air hardening carbon steels, do the same grinding practices, but quench between heavy aluminum plates.
Hope this helps. Dale

im thinking some o1 if i can make it thiner without it being unsafe how thin it would be for a 8to 10" blade light is a big thing as is strench

One of my friends gave me a sword cane type blade from Africa. Its ~ 18" long with a 12" long blade, 3/4" wide, ~0.1 thick. the blade flexes a little, I don't know what type of steel it is, haven't tried to sharpen it or cut stuff with it either. From looking at it, I think the 1/8" 01 would be ok.

I would probably want to temper it softer than a normal knife so that the steel isn't quite as brittle. I don't know anything about tempering swords or how hard they should be tempered.

Sounds like a fun project.

Ric

Back