Table Saw vs. Band Saw vs. Scroll Saw

BRad704

I have "access" to a band saw, but its 30 minutes away and at my dad's house. I don't want to rely on that because I am making him a surprise knife for Christmas. I have been looking on Craigslist locally, and there are lots of table saws and some scroll saws for about $50 used.

Can I reasonably trim down wood blocks to about 1/4" for scales with a table saw? From reading online, a scroll saw would just give my wavy cuts.

I suppose the blocks would be about 1.25 - 1.5" thick on the cut...

My other "cheapo" option is to mount a used jig saw upside down on a piece of plywood and make a wood fence as a guide...

Did I mention my budget is pretty tight... :)

I think the bandsaw is your best bet. If it's a surprise, I'd just go over when he's out and make the cuts you want. Then switch over to rasps, files and sand paper from the big depot. After a little bit, you'll decide what kind of tool you'd prefer.

Good luck with it, Craig

I second the bandsaw for ripping scales from blocks, cutting to rough shape can be done with the scroll saw just fine, the table saw scares me for small pieces. Just my 2 cents.
Dale

Great to know Jim, thank you! :) I may be calling you one day this week, but unfortunately I don't get back to Cordova till at least 5:30pm...

Brad,
For making small blocks a table saw is a no-no, especially a contractor or cabinet saw. Way too much can go wrong with a blade that’s 10” and has 50 or 60 teeth spinning at 4,000 rpm and small pieces of wood stuck between it and a fence. I’m not saying it can’t be or hasn’t been or will be done again. Because it can, but given the choice it’s not smart.
Want something inexpensive go to the Borg and get a Japanese style ripsaw. If for some chance my band saw or all of my scroll saws would not work and my table saws would I would just use a hand saw. But hey that’s just me:biggrin:

Stay away from the table saw for small pices as deltashooter said big blades and small pices of wood = bad combo. scroll saw can be used but yes you will have wavy lines to sand flat. band saw is the way to go for sure

Thanks for the ideas everyone... I got to go hang out with Jim (Adams) the other night and used his to cut down my scales. And I got to put them on my third knife last night. :)

2010-10-14%2021.14.03.jpg

Back