Connecticut Hammer-in Nov. 27th!!!!

Mace

Hi everyone,

We're having a hammer-in!!!
Date: November 27th 2010...8-4
Place: The Guilford Art Center www.guilfordartcenter.org in Guilford CT.

The plan: .....A full day of forging fun!!!
This will be a combo of bladesmithing/blacksmithing event.
We plan on making a knife during the day with demos from me...Mace Vitale, Mike Spangler, and Paul Letourneau. I will forge the blade, Mike will grind it, we will heat treat it and sharpen it, Paul will do a handle...if time allows we will try and get a sheath made for it too. Other demos will include...Tong and tool forging with Bill Scheer....Bill is the Blacksmith at the Mystic seaport shipsmith shop, Casting with MICA graduate Barbara Wechter, Hammer making and guard forging with blacksmith extraordinaire Sam Salvati.
Other demos to TBA.
There will be a forge set up with demos going on all day while the knife demos are going. There will also be an open forge area with several anvils for you to hit some hot steel. Tailgate sales and a hot lunch of hot dogs and hamburgers(for you vegitarians we will also have hamburgers and hot dogs)

Cost: $25.- bucks gets you in the door, lunch, and a chance to win the knife we make during the day. You can also purchace extra chances for the knife for an extra $5.- bucks each. Kids under 12 free. All proceeds will go to getting some more equipment for the forge shop at GAC so we can better teach all the young minds.
If you would like to pre-pay you can send a MO to me at:
Mace Vitale
925 Rt. 80
Guilford, CT.
You can also pay at the gate
If your in, just say so here so I can start to put a list together.
Hope to see a bunch of you this November....it's gonna be a great time!
Mace

Last edited:
Hey everyone!
The hammer-in is comming along with new demos and demonstrators lined up!!!
Swordsmith Matt Parkinson will do demos on damascus steel paterns and how to make your own steel gravers for engraving and inlaying.

Jamie Lundell will do a demo on armor making.( I find this area of smithing to be very interesting with all the fitting and articulation.)

Should be a great day! Hope to see you all there!
Mace

It's two weeks late, darn it! I've got to drive down to Hamden on the 13th to visit a college w/my daughter.

Mace, Sounds like a lot of fun to be had that day. Can't make it but if you need something, let me know. Don't know for sure if I can help but will try.

Thanks Ray! Wish we could have you out here!

The hammer-in is comming up soon...here is some pics of the forge shop to get you all excited!
Hope to see you there!
Mace

forgeshop3.jpg

forgeshop2.jpg

forgeshop1.jpg

That is really a nice "Studio" Mace. Where is all the stuff that is supposed to be scattered around on the floor? How do you find stuff that is put away somewhere? :)
Have a great on and will check back later for more pics,

Our Fearless leader, Mace Vital. Great Day Mace. Look forward to doing it again for Sure!!

Picture19934.jpg

Sam Salvietti Building the VERY COOL Raffle Hammer

Picture19933.jpg

Picture19931.jpg

Mike Spangler Doing the Grinder Demo

Picture19930.jpg

I missed A pic of Paul, PML Knives putting the Handle on the Raffle knife. Was Watching Mathew doing a Damascus Demo

Here was Matt doing an inlay Demo

Picture19922.jpg

Building Body Armour from Scratch!!!

Picture19936.jpg

T-Blade Brought Half his shop to do Forging Demo's

Picture19923.jpg

Building Tongs from Scratch for the Raffle

Picture19927.jpg

Back