I need some "HELP"

Don McNeil

Okay guys I am almost finished with my first knife with liners between the steel and wood. I am using Cocobolo scales with black and white liners the order is; steel, black liner, white liner, Cocobolo. It all glued up okay and sanded out smooth but my white liner is getting strained from the resins in the wood. It has almost turned a light orange and more in some spots than others. Has anyone else ever had this problem and how do I fix it? I have already tired sanding more and also using acetone but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don
Edit/Delete Message

Yes I will take some here shortly and post them. I got it cleaned up a little with a wire brush on my dremel...not completely but better.

It's hard to get it to show in pictures but I think these two pics show it best.
PICT0014-1.jpg

PICT0010-4.jpg

ahh. ok, It is hard to get pure white in anything around a knife. You will need to use a brand new sharp belt and go slow or hand sand while changing the abrasive constantly. Often when it is turning brown, the belt is dull or the speed is too high and it is burning.

Back