What Scales to put on this knife?

BRad704

I need the advice of others... I am going to finish this blade in flat black, and I want to use real wood scales. I already finished the sheath, so I want it the knife to match the theme (black and brown), but don't know what wood would work best for that... Any ideas?

PS, I know I need to clean up my grinds, but this is mainly a test knife (and only my third ever, so be kind... ;) )

11" oal, 6.5" tip to guard

2010-10-07%2016.53.19_Memphis_Tennessee_US.jpg

paint is not a good idea if youll use your knife it dosnt hold up .the sheath looks good . a lettle polishing well smothout your blade. i think a oak with say a lineseed to just darken some would match up good to the theme im a novist myself bu it looks like your doing it ight to me..

I was implying something like GunKote for the flat black, but just saw how expensive it is, and I think I'll be polishing the blade... :)

I may end up doing something like you said with the oak, and oil... and using a black spacer to keep the colors consistent. I think having a knife and sheath "go together" is key in making a good looking set.

Dye curly maple with your brown leather dye add black spacers and buff. Cheap and easy.
Want wood to match the sheath, Goncola Alves and tung oil. Not cheap, but easy.

oooooOOOOOOooooooOOOOOO.... I like that curly maple a LOT! :) I had to google it, but I love it! Now I just need to find some cheap (and maybe even locally).

Cheap and Easy are my middle names... And technically, the dye is Minwax dark walnut wood stain...

Well Brad,
If we knew what local was maybe someone here could help you out.

Might be that someone just a few miles from ya would say " Hey lets meet up. I believe I might just able to help you out."

These knife people are funny that way :shush:

I know I am.

Well Brad,
If we knew what local was maybe someone here could help you out.

Might be that someone just a few miles from ya would say " Hey lets meet up. I believe I might just able to help you out."

These knife people are funny that way :shush:

I know I am.

yeah, that would probably help... :)i live in cordova, TN... its a burb of memphis

black and brown exotic would be bacote or zebrano, I have zebrano if you are interested

My suggestion would be African Blackwood. It doesn't have much in the way of grain but it is stable and durable just the way it comes off the wood lot and is reasonably priced. This stuff is so oily that it's not a bad idea to clean the surfaces to be glued with acetone.

Doug Lester

This one is just a "practice" knife before I make 3 more just like it from 1084 to give as gifts... So I'm not going too exotic just yet... I like the black walnut and black spacer idea and also the idea of anything low-priced (for now).

Thanks for all the ideas guys!

OH, and I have named this profile for when I make more of them.... Its the "A.C.T." model. Using my wife's initials because its curvy, sexy, and I can't keep my hands off it... ;)

OH, and I have named this profile for when I make more of them.... Its the "A.C.T." model. Using my wife's initials because its curvy, sexy, and I can't keep my hands off it... ;)[/QUOTE]

Bet you scored some extra points with moma for that remark.
Rodney

Back