Casper's Dog Run

Clydetz

Buck 110 Collector and Casper's best friend
For the past number of years I had a cable dog run in the back yard. A cable ran about 10' above the ground from my back porch on out to an apple tree about 75' in the far corner of the backyard. Another length of cable with a dog clip attached hung from a pulley that travelled on this 75' cable that the dog's collar was clipped to and he could do a certain amount of roaming in the backyard. It took me several years to figure out how I could make this system work better since the dog could get tripped up by the slack in the attached cable on his collar. When I walk my dogs I use a Flexi retractable leash... any slack in the leash was retracted into the housing and the dog never got tangled up in any slack leash. I had an extra Flexi leash so I set my idea into motion...

Here's what the 75' cable looks like in the backyard...

DSCN5195.jpg

This is Casper waiting to go outside...

DSCN5189.jpg

Here's the tools I used to put the plan into action...

DSCN5211.jpg

This is the Flexi leash hooked up and ready to go...

DSCN5219.jpg

And here's Casper enjoying his new retractable cable dog run... no slack cable to trip over...

DSCN5217.jpg

When Casper is done romping around the backyard he comes up on the porch, barks to come in and his leash is clipped to an 'eye' bolt mounted on the sliding porch door and it's all set for the next trip outside...

DSCN5192.jpg

Hey Denny,
If the wife puts you on one of those, let me know and I'll smuggle you up some side cutters.
Steve

Stroke of genius right there! Most flexi's i I see are attached to some ninkompoop and a dog, but I'm in NYC alot soooo....
No slack, no tangles, nothing to get tangled up in. Well Done. And I personally don't like a dog on a dragging chain or cable,
this is much mo betta. Dozier

Thought you might want to see some more pics of Casper on his cable...

The cable/flexi gives him a bit more room to roam...

DSCN5414.jpg

...or to just lay down & relax...

DSCN5427.jpg

Luckily when not in use the flexi is under the protection of the eave of the roof but I have had it 'ice' up on me a few times in this type of weather...

DSCN6121.jpg

If the weather is OK, Casper & I take a drive over to the local park to stretch our legs...

DSCN5307.jpg

Otherwise we pretty much just sit and watch some TV...

DSCN6029.jpg

Ah yes, A boy and his dog. This is like a Norman Rockwell moment. Makes me want another dog........

You really should try to spoil him a bit it looks as though he may need it. LOL

If the weather is OK, Casper & I take a drive over to the local park to stretch our legs...

DSCN5307.jpg

Otherwise we pretty much just sit and watch some TV...

DSCN6029.jpg
Casper, is a cute dog.:5:But what kind of Ugly Mangy Mutt is sitting next to him in the above pic's????? HEHEHEHEHE!!!

At the present, after chemo & radiation, that is a part German/Irish/Danish hairless mongrel with a sense of humor! :biggrin:

Back