My Brother's New Hunting Knife

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
My brother asked me to make him a knife to carry with him on his first elk hunt. He'll be heading up to Colorado in a couple of weeks and I'm running out of time to get this project completed.

I finished hand sanding the blade this evening and etched the blade. The hamon didn't show up as well as I would have liked for it to, but it is there (you just can't see it in the photos).

Here are the specs:

OAL: 9"
Blade: 4.5"
Steel: 5/32" 1095
Handle Material: (when finished)Black Canvas Micarta w/ 1/8" Corby Bolts
Sheath: (when finished) Black Kydex w/ Molle Loks and Large Tek Lok

I'm using my brother's hunting trip to test out a prototype for my new tactical utility which I will make to carry to Afghanistan next year. My brother has no idea that he is the guineau pig.

Here is a pic.

IMG_0267.jpg

Looking good there Murph.We finally got the right weather
to be out in the shop.These mornings have really been nice.
Just wish it was here to stay.

God bless,Keith

Thank you Keith.

Yep, went to the shop around 5 yesterday evening and was up til about 2 this morning working on one knife or another. I was scheduled to be in at 9 this morning. My platoon sergeant called at 0610 with a change of mission for the day. I'm
now ten minutes from work. Man, I hope this coffee kicks in soon!

(no, I'm not driving, a buddy and I carpool)

I like that profile. I can't wait to see the finish product. I am sure your brother can't wait either.

And the weather right now is so nice.

Murph - I hate to tell you this but there is a new law on the books in Colorado this year and it affects all hunters coming in from out of state.

I'll try to paraphrase it here but I'm no legal eagle....

Colorado Edged Weapon Inspection Act, §§ 12-34-5678

" On and after July 1, 2010 all out of state hunters, especially those related to people from Mississippi [edited to read 'anywhere east of Kansas'], are to submit all really cool edged weapons for inspection prior to entering the mountains. The inspections are very detailed and could take up to one year to complete. It is advised that the hunter's brother send said "really cool" edged weapon in advance of the hunt to our convenient inspection station in Coal Creek Canyon where the knife will be put through arduous testing and fondling. If said "totally awesome" edged weapon meets with the inspectors approval, the weapon will then be released for use on big game animals during the following years hunt."

So to save you time since I'm sure you haven't heard about the new requirements, you can just send the blade to me and I'll hand carry it through the process for you - heck, it's the least I can do for a friend. However, even with my assistance it may not be released in time for him to use it on his hunt. He may be forced to stop in at a local Wally World and pick up something else.

Anyway buddy, I look forward to "inspecting" your new work at my ...uh...your earliest convenience.
CustomSignatureBarHD.png

Best regards and God Bless,
Wayne

Full Time Maker
Member of the Professional Knifemakers Association
www.jarrettknives.com
Are you a Dawg yet?

Be sure to check out the new Jarrett Knives Forum

Last edited:
Looks like an excellent field knife, Murph. FWIW I think a subtle hamon carries a little more class than the really loud ones.

Wayne, I guess it's a really good thing I'm from Arkansas, huh?

Denny, no worries. This is the same design I was referring to when I messaged yoU.

Thank you for the compliments gentlemen. I'm sitting around the office twiddling my thumbs now. As soon as I can get out of here today I'm going to grab som chow and a quick nap, then head to the shop.

Hey Murph, Thats a great looking blade. Probably wouldnt work for whitetail deer. Only one way to find out. Hurry up and make another one! Season opens friday. LOL Tell your brother good luck and he owes you some elk steaks.

Wayne, I guess it's a really good thing I'm from Arkansas, huh?

Well Mister Man, then how can a guy create a great joke when you have misinformation in your profile?
I do believe it says.... Ar/Hattiesburg, Ms :what!::biggrin:
Regardless, fine work my friend.
CustomSignatureBarHD.png

Wayne

Full Time Maker
www.jarrettknives.com
Are you a Dawg yet?

LOL, thank you Wayne. For the record, it says Conway, Ar (which is home) /Hattiesburg, Ms (which is my duty station).

I'm a little nervous about finishing this one. I've had some trials and errors on the way and now I have the blade right where I want it. I just hope I don't screw up on the handle or sharpening it. Of course I'm still trying to decide if I want to do a conventional or convex edge on it. Personally, I like a convex edge but I'm not sure if my brother will want to deal with the sharpening of it.

Looks great Murph!!.
In Illinois we also have special requirements for blades brought into the flatlands. We stop you at the border, from the north it's called the Cheddar Curtain, in reference to the Dairy State, we use metal detectors and big a$$ magnets to sweep the vehicle and confiscate all the customs and Buck 110's then run like scalded dogs back to the house to split up the treasure.

We then put a "welcome to Illinois" bumper sticker on your vehicle and laugh like little girls.

Looks great Murph!!.
In Illinois we also have special requirements for blades brought into the flatlands. We stop you at the border, from the north it's called the Cheddar Curtain, in reference to the Dairy State, we use metal detectors and big a$$ magnets to sweep the vehicle and confiscate all the customs and Buck 110's then run like scalded dogs back to the house to split up the treasure.

We then put a "welcome to Illinois" bumper sticker on your vehicle and laugh like little girls.

Now that there is funny - I don't care who you are!
CustomSignatureBarHD.png

Wayne

Full Time Maker
www.jarrettknives.com
Are you a Dawg yet?

Black Canvas Micarta for this one, Steve. I have three others of similar design which I will be using either tan or black/tan G-10 on and maybe one in OD Canvas Micarta. My intent is to play with the design a bit and tweak it until I feel I have it just right. The only real deviation from design will be dimentions of the blade varying from 4" to 5" in length and 1 3/16" to 1 1/2" width. I'm also planning one which will have narrow tang construction with a cross guard.

I've been playing with this design ALOT over the past few weeks. To be perfectly honest, I would say that I have drawn it over and over at least three to four dozen times with slight deviations each time. This one was tweaked from my original design at my brother's request. I narrowed the blade from 1 1/4" to 1 3/16" and legthened it from 4" to 4 1/2".

Back