I hate when that happens

R Appleby

KNIFE MAKER
I wanted to do a large camp chopper so I have been fitting it in between projects. While finish grinding I noticed a crack about 1 1/2 inches in front of the tang, what the f@#! crap, I really hate when that happens. So off with the shop lights and out with the wine glass, am I the only one that gets kind of emotional when I ruin a blade. Next day I was looking at it a little more, once the pain wore off I gave it a light etch and didn't see any other cracks so, I put it on the chop saw and cut it off just before the crack. I reground a new tang, finished the grinding and polished the blade. I finished the blade with a multi level etch in a random splatter pattern. I had my wife pick out a new handle for it which was some really awesome crotch flame walnut that I finished in oil. My pain went away and I liked what was happening so much I even made a sheath a little better than a plain brown wrapper. When my wife came home last night I gave it to her I feel better and she's a happy girl.

The original specs were 5160, 1/4 inch thick 13 inches long 2 inches wide and 18 inches overall.

New specs are 5160, 1/4 inches thick 8 inches long, 2 inches wide and 13 inches overall.

Its doesn't happen very often and normally can't be salvaged but this time it all worked out OK.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• DSCF0027.jpg
    DSCF0027.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF0028.jpg
    DSCF0028.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCF0031.jpg
    DSCF0031.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF0030.jpg