Hand working Titanium

jylong_away

Hi all!

After some reasonable success with my first 2 blades in S90V, I 'doodled' a bit with some leftover and made some rings(yup, as in jewelery) from S90V as a sort've novelty. Am planning to have these heat treated, etc the same time as the blade. They were done with a hand drill, and hand files.

Have been thinking about making some titanium rings using a simliar method, and have been able to source out appropriate thickness titanium sheet.

Was wondering if anyone had experience working both the CPM stainless alloy steels (S90V, S30V, etc) as well as 6/4 Titanium? I'm trying to get a relative comparison about how 6/4 Ti drills/sands/files compared to the vanadium carbide stainless steels. Have had some minor experience with CP-2 Ti only.

Thanks in advance!

You will have an unforgettable experience drilling a 1/2" hole through titanium. Drilling very small holes with good bits can go easy but once you enlarge the hole to say 1/4" and the thickness is say 3/16" the whole process changes to a challenge. I suggest that if you are going to go with the titanium you get one or more carbide bits. I believe you will find that working the outside with files etc. won't be all that bad. Start with course for sure. Frank

Back