first steps: The inital knife

Thunter124

alright, I've got about a week before I can start forging blades, first thing I'm thinking of is a large knife for taking down and witling medium sized trees. So what I was thinking is something like a cleaver mixed with a machete. Hoping to make it around three inches wide and about twelve inches long, and thickened toward the top so as to impart a greater amount of energy at the end of the blade so as to give me axe performance in a knife package. Has anyone made a blade like this before?

i honetly have not maybe you should look at some of the chopper used in comp. they seem to take out some big chunks get ideas for your edge grind excetra ..

Im pretty new to forging and can tall ya there is allot of learning that needs to be done before I go much bigger. I practiced on small blades as they are not so temperamental and you can learn the basics on them before trying to beat out a pound of steel.

I recommend you to start slowly and move on to larger blades as your skill progresses. Otherwise, you are going to have hell getting the bevels even.(and you might burn out from trying to forge the thicker steel) You can still go for it of course, I just don't recommend it.

I do know what type of knife you're referring to though. I haven't made any for the above mentioned reason (about the bevels), but for some reason I like bush knives and I'm defiantly going to try to make one once I'm more willing to try. I think Tai Goo makes several of them so you might want to go to his site for inspiration for future projects.

I suppose I'll hold off on that project, going to make all my tools first anyways(couple pairs of tongs, some different hammers maybe, some hot and cold chisels, a hatchet and a couple of hardy blocks)

I have managed to secure me a 300-ish pound chunk of fresh cut timber to use is an anvil base, is that sufficient overkill?

and I was taking a tour of a company that makes girder structures for large commercial facilities, and they had some ten inch thick slabs of steel, and I was thinking about getting a chunk of that and having them plasma cut me a round hole and a square hole to make my anvil, any thoughts on something like that?

That sounds pretty good for an anvil

Start with a smaller blade just to get your mojo working

large choppers are all kinds of fun to make once you get the hang of it...I have 3 I am almost done working with, that are so large I have to send them out for ht!

Back