Free Elmax Super Steel from Uddeholm - Give away updated with files

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
NOTE: This one is done!

NOTE: Post updated with data files.

(First, our thanks to John Steedman, technical sales for Bohler Uddeholm for making this possible.)

We are going to distribute 15 bars of Elmax .148"x1.5"x10" steel here. One bar each to 15 winners.
Why?

Bohler Uddeholm gave us some to give away to get the word out on this steel and have it tested in the custom knife world. (I'll attach some files here for reference below.)

Click these files to have a look:
View attachment ElmaxVanax.PDF

View attachment elmaxknife.PDF

View attachment heattreatsum.doc

Having a random drawing giveaway is going to give everyone a shot at getting a free bar. You can be a rookie maker or a pro to get in this.

There is one string attached.

You need to make a knife with in the next few months (we are flexible here but sooner is better) with it and let us know how it works for you. A WIP would be great but it isn't required. I don't care if you sell the knife. Just get us some feedback on the performance.

What you are looking for is:
How does it grind in comparison to others?
How tough is it? (it should be tougher than most)
How does it hold an edge for you?
How did heat treat go for you if you did it yourself?
How was it to finish?

If you are in, say something like I want to try this Elmax stuff!
or Uber Steel! I want some!

and KnifeDogs is better than beer!
(skip that last part because that probably isn't true for everyone - like me)

Winners will be selected from your post number. One entry only please.

The fine print: Winners will be determined by post entry number. I will use random.org to pick a post number. I will then take the "winning number" post plus the 6 posts before and after the winning number. If the winning number is 6 or less, I will wrap around to the "end". If the winning number is less than 6 from the end, I will wrap around to the top of the list. The entry period will end at midnight October 1.

Last edited:
BOSSDOG
Since a meathod of selection is now in plaxce should I be entering this to try for a bar for a raffle prize? Frank

Knife Dogs IS better than beer (IMO, I don't drink, so I'm probably nuts) and has less calories. I want to try some of this stuff, count me in!

Uber Steel! I want some! I have been talking to Uddeholm Australia about try this out but there is quite a large minimum order required. I will be making a folder if I win so out of 10" I reckon I could easily make 2 knives

I want to try this Elmax stuff!
Would love to make a knife out of it and give feedback to others. Thanks for the opportunity to win one of these bars.

Eric

Uber Steel! I want some!

I am sure that some HT specs come with this right. The size is perfect to make a copy of my "standard" hunter and compare it to my D2 ones.

I am so in!!!
Cant wait to try out a new steel!

Oh and Knife Dogs is definitely better than beer!! ( I quit drinking 2 and a half years ago)

Last edited:
(First, our thanks to John Steedman, technical sales for Bohler Uddeholm for making this possible.)

We are going to distribute 15 bars of Elmax .148"x1.5"x10" steel here. One bar each to 15 winners.
Why?

Bohler Uddeholm gave us some to give away to get the word out on this steel and have it tested in the custom knife world. (I'll attach some files here for reference below.)

Click these files to have a look:
View attachment 15180

View attachment 15179

Having a random drawing giveaway is going to give everyone a shot at getting a free bar. You can be a rookie maker or a pro to get in this.

There is one string attached.

You need to make a knife with in the next few months (we are flexible here but sooner is better) with it and let us know how it works for you. A WIP would be great but it isn't required. I don't care if you sell the knife. Just get us some feedback on the performance.

What you are looking for is:
How does it grind in comparison to others?
How tough is it? (it should be tougher than most)
How does it hold an edge for you?
How did heat treat go for you if you did it yourself?
How was it to finish?

If you are in, say something like I want to try this Elmax stuff!
or Uber Steel! I want some!

and KnifeDogs is better than beer!
(skip that last part because that probably isn't true for everyone - like me)

Winners will be selected from your post number. One entry only please.

The fine print: Winners will be determined by post entry number. I will use random.org to pick a post number. I will then take the "winning number" post plus the 6 posts before and after the winning number. If the winning number is 6 or less, I will wrap around to the "end". If the winning number is less than 6 from the end, I will wrap around to the top of the list. The entry period will end at midnight October 1.

I want to try this Elmax stuff!

Back