First knife with a friend.

Fred Rowe

Jeff is my friend. He was the fist person to walk down our long driveway and introduce himself back in the early 80's when we were basically hunkering down by the fire to stay warm, you know, pre living quarters no house days, we have been friends ever since. Jeff is the kind of friend that helps out in the knife shop from building the building, to wiring the electric panel, to helping with the many projects that get built in a knife shop; in other words a valued friend.
He has spent a lot of days in the smithy, both talking and working, but has never forged a blade or set at a grinder until now.
He made the hunter pictured, to carry deer hunting this fall.
The blade steel is W2 the guard is silicon bronze. Handle is sea cow rib bone with a spacer made from a bowling ball. He took the finish down to 400 grit before he etched it.
Jeff did all the work on the knife from forging the blade, grinding it, through finishing it out. We just talked him through it. The knife is 9 1/2 inches overall.

When he finished with the knife he asked why I had not ask him to make a knife earlier. He said he's ready to make another one.

Here's to good friends in the shop, Fred

DSC00778.JPG

Last edited:
Great looking first knife Jeff. Fred you have done good by your friend keep up the good work my man.

First forged knife?!!!?
Wow,I'm impressed...
I hope my first forged blade looks half as good!
The things a good knife and a good friend have in common is that both may bend a bit,
but will not break,and with care and respect, neither will ever get dull!:biggrin:

That is a pretty good looking knife for your guys first build!

There is a 100 lb air hammer and a 25 ton press in the shop, which helps to get the forging part done quickly. Even a NG can forge a blade with a little instruction and enough equipment.:happy:
Jeff has always worked with machinery; he learned the forging from watching the rest of us forge over the years, I think. He said the forging seemed natural to him.
He said he can appreciate what goes into a hand made knife; he didn't realize the effort involved.

Best of luck on your first forged blade, Fred

Back