We have been hacked - what we know so far

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
Our hosting company, URLjet, got hacked late yesterday or early this morning. We are not the only forum. I'm not sure how many others got hit but I would guess maybe most or all of the forums they host. If there is a way to get into one server, it usually means there is a way to get into them all.

URLjet says they have fixed the hack and they are in the process of loading backups. Let's hope for the best on this.

They are working on loading a backup. That means all posts from the time of the hack, may or may not be lost. Since the forum is basically hosed right now, it's unlikely we will lose much.

I will post more when I know more.

I don't know squat about this kind of stuff,
but if I could track down the little...#$%%*@ who do this kind of stuff
I'd do some hacking of my own...mostly fingers!
Other forums bein' hacked would irritate me,
but this is Home!!!
I take it personal when some greasy lil' eunuch hunched over his momma's old computer
down in a dimly lit basement starts pokin' away with his Cheezies encrusted fingers and craps
in MY backyard!

25,000+ web sites were brought down at once from this hacker. The exploit was for a windows based server. Microsoft had not released a patch as of late last night to address the issue but I would guess they are on it.
This hack had nothing to do with the server upgrade we had on Sunday. I see we lost some server speed. I'll give the host another day to finish up on their end before I ask them to look at it.

Thanks for the update, Boss. I know these are almost impossible to stop but televised public hangings might help deter them.

Kind of freaked me out yesterday when I made a post to the forum, and up pops the Turkish Hacker. I was unsure if Tracy was aware of it and so posted a note to him on him knife supply site, and he emailed back shortly that they were aware of it and working on the problem!
It makes me so mad that some people have so little to do with their time :58: and so little respect for others that this is what they want to do with a gift that God gave them. To me they are kind of like a terroist, (gutless to do anything face to face)!
But that's OK too because in the end it ain't me that they got to answer too!
However if we can get together before that time. Well lets just say I would like to open a can on on them!:56::taz: I work to hard for jokers like that to mess it up for me, and one hacker can screw up a whole boat load of PC's in a real hurry! OK I have had my little rant :sad: for today and I will be standing beside my soapbox for the rest of the day!:biggrin:

Just remember people we must be the responsible ones, Don't forget to have your hackers spayed or nutered. You know just to keep the population under control.

This guy hacked 25,000+ sites this last weekend and has been around for year or more. Google "turkish hacker" and see how many sites this guy has brought down. This is not the first time he has hacked multiple sites and won't be the last until he is caught and given a high 6 figure job consulting on internet security.

From our host:
Everthing is back and running at a 100 percent.
The attack was held to one server and originated from a gaming site with a weakness that we had previously asked them to close (as of 10/1 they will no longer be hosted at urljet).
From there they were able to exploit a know weakness in a linux kernal.
Once in they ran a script to change all index pages to the "Turkish" experience and were in the process of starting a 2nd to delete the log files.
Fortunatly we were able to stop that one.

Boy, if we had moved you one day earlier all this would have been avoided.

About the move, we'll need to shut the site breifly to do the deed. Is there a time that best for you?

Thanks
The UrlJet Flight Crew

We were on the wrong server at just the wrong time. We expect one more (brief?) outage as we finish our move to the new server digs and we should be good to go.

Well, maybe I'm the only one around who is happy about the hack. Not really but,,,,I have been off for over a month. My lap top pooped and died. I have been using the house 'puter but could not log in. I just happened to try again tonight and low and behold I got to log in. Maybe all the work that the server had to do corrected that we could not otherwise find. Anyway, I'm back....sort of. I am leaving in the morning to go to the Quad State Conference in Troy, Ohio at the Miami Fairgrounds. Any of you Dogs that are there are required to stop by my place, the "Official Knife Dogs Hospitality Tent". (its Official because I said so) Look for the Knife Dogs Banner. I know that Fred Rowe and Burton are going to be there Saturday.

Oh and back on the subject of this thread, "Man those hackers sure hack me off."

Back