Loveless style Hunter

Mark Behnke

This knife #8 and second leather sheath.

Canvas micarta
Brass guard w/NS pins and thong liner

This is my first attempt at a mirror finish,way under estimated the time it takes for fit and finish on this one but will be prepared for the next.

Lots to learn with the leather work, it's so impressionable, that's good and bad, Ludlow   Loveless Hunter and Sheath919 2010 015.jpgLudlow   Loveless Hunter and Sheath919 2010 016.jpgLudlow   Loveless Hunter and Sheath919 2010 017.jpgLudlow   Loveless Hunter and Sheath919 2010 018.jpgLudlow   Loveless Hunter and Sheath919 2010 019.jpgLudlow   Loveless Hunter and Sheath919 2010 011.jpg bad for a beginner.

Thanks for looking and feel free to comment, advise or criticize.Ludlow   Loveless Hunter and Sheath919 2010 012.jpg

Last edited:
I think it looks great and I really like the symmetry from the distal taper to the tapered tang. Nice work on the sheath, too.

Outstanding looking knife for #8. Looks really nice.
Was the tapered tang a pain for you to accomplish?
Dozier

Thanks for looking and the compliments Denny.

Dozier, i realy like tapered tangs so don't mind the extra steps to accomplish them. My first full tang knife I did with files and tapered the tang. They realy lighten up the handle. I did have trouble with this one because I didn't hold it flat against the platen on one side so ended up chasing dips and humps.
Next one I'll use the disk grinder to get it flat.

Mark, your gonna have to post a beginner's WIP on the next tapered tang. Most of the tutorials I've seen look WAY beyond the scope of my abilities.
Now, if I could tell steel bad jokes and it would disappear where I wanted it too, then I'd have something.
Well Done,
Dozier

Knife looks great!! I love the Tapered tang look also. It adds a LOT of Character to the knife.

That is a great WIP thread Charles posted. He sure is top notch!!

Last edited:
Looks great Mark. Especially for #8. Can I ask where you got the pattern? I'd like to try one of these myself.

Thanks,
David

Great job. I'm on my 4th knife and it's a Loveless inspired (not good enough to be a copy) drop point hunter. They are harder to do than they look. I had more problems getting the correct angle for the holes in the micarta for the handle bolts than the tapered tang. I had a hard time keeping the blade at a 90 dgree angle to the drill press quill. What is the height of your blade at the guard? I kept mine to an inch, a little more than the grind height of a ten inch wheel, using 1/4 inch stock.

Hi Sticks,
I haven't figured an easy way to drill those holes either, something I need to work out along with the correct screws.
The blade is also at 1"

A lot to learn from this pattern, amazing how little is left after grinding.

Hi Mark,

I thought about the problem of drilling the holes in the scales that would be applied to a tapered tang and here's what I tried. I left the bar stock for the guard long after I fitted it and drilled the pin holes. Then I put the bar stock in my drill press clamp while the blade was annealed, tapered and drilled for the handle bolts and thong. This kept the center line of the blade at a 90 degree angle to the quill. Then I clamped the prefitted (to the guard) scale to the bottom of the tang and used the holes as a guide for drilling through the scales. Same process for each side. When I had the bolt hole drilled I turned the scales over clamped them the counter sank the bolt heads. Attached is a pic of the set up, but on a blade that has only been profiled. Tapered Tang Clamp.jpg

Great idea Sticks, I'll try that on the next one.

Be sure and post pics of your completed knives, I'd like to see them.

Back