Server Upgrade Here

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
We started the forum on a "shared host" server. This was fine initially as the load was fairly low.

We now have an average of 200 users online at any time and this is growing daily. The new forum software upgrade along with the large (and growing) amount of pictures we host slowed things down a bit also.

We have paid our host to upgrade the server contract to a VPS (virtual private server). This is a big step up in terms of server processing power. We should see a major improvement in system performance. At some point we will end up with our dedicated server but this upgrade should take care of us for awhile. I went with the "middle" option on this upgrade and we have a couple more steps left to ramp up as the load increases.

This upgrade will happen today sometime if everything goes well. We may be down for a bit as the tech guys at URLjet make the move.

This is what memberships go for.
Thanks to our paid members for helping out.
t

Boss, are you sure they haven't done it already? Things were really slow for me late last night, but are moving lightning fast now.

Everything is operating like it did about this time last year when we only had a couple hundred members total.

I want to keep saying BAM! when it goes to the next screen instantly...

Finally, we are moved to the new VPS as of last night. Long story short, they move the whole setup to a new server which requires a new dns address. This address takes a day or two to propogate across the net. We should be good to go now with much improved forum performance.

We have some threads that aren't acting quite right so we are re-indexing everything....hopefully it doesn't blow up.

Back