finishing etched blade

doug adams

Hi All,
I have 3 blades that I forged. I ground the blades and left some of the forging on them where you could see it. Then I etched them in vinagar to a dark grey. When I ground the handles down to shape I ground the dark grey etch off of the tang. Is there anything I could put on them to turn it back grey without messing up the handles?
Thanks,
Doug
Jn. 3:16

You can use fingernail polish, cover the area you want to protect, then use fingernail polish remover or acetone to remove it.

Doug,
If I am understanding you right I would guess you have a full tang blade and you have mounted the handles...I have never tried putting fingernail polish on a handle and then removing it. That does work for an area on the blade that you do not want to get etched but that is a metal surface. Not sure about that.

The suggestion I would have for you on the next blade would be to set your self up a handle that you are going to bolt together (hidden bolt or Loveless bolts will work great for this, or if you are going to pin find some bolts the same size as your pins. Prior to etching, mount you handle scales with the bolts only, profile your handle, grind, sand...get it all ready around the area of the tang and as much of the rest as you can without messing up your bolts. Dismount the scales and etch your blade then remount the handle scales being sure to clean up all you epoxy before it hardens and CAREFULLY finish the handle around screw/bolt area. Make sense? Also, this can be tricky so don't be suprised if you don't get it exactly the way you want it the first time you do it.

Eric

On blades that I want the tang etched like the blade ....After I finish the handle , I use some blue painters tape to tape off the handles. I always use one long piece and go all the way around the handle , one on each side. Then carefully stick the tape to itself , so it covers the side of the handle. seals it up good. Then I etch with a wool swab around the tang. this has always worked for me , your mileage may vary.

Back