Metals to practice grinding on

Eric Poris

Gold Membership
Hi all,
I am in to process of building my first grinder (and doubt it will be my last) and was wondering what metals you guys buy to practice grinding on and where you get them? I don't want to buy expensive metals and ruin them :52:
Thanks

Good idea NJ, they do grind fast. I tried poplar waste, ground too fast for me.
Flea markets, garage sales, for old files. Throw em in a fire, lettem cool slow to soften em, and grind away. Farriers rasps or files are fine. Make sure you lay them flat in the fire, they WILL curve if laid over a log. I haven't figured out how to straight a wavy file too good yet ?
Dozier

Start out with paint sticks the buy a couple of lengths of 1080.About 10 bucks a 3' piece.Then if one turns out decent you can H/T it and have a good knife.
Stan

5160 runs about $5 a pound. Find a place that builds 4x4's, like Jeeps. You might be able to get scaps for cheeper.

I agree with the above, try a known knife steel that's cheap. One of em you might end up liking and the money difference will be next to nothing.

If you're gonna grind steel, you might as well grind something hardenable. I know I've heard others advise to use mild steel. But, when you grind out a good one all you have is a knife shaped paperweight. . .

I highly recommend the paint sticks as well for practice. If you want some really inexpensive steel to grind on, check with Admiral Steel and see if they still have the 1084 in 1/8" x 1 1/2" x 60". They were charging only $5 per bar for this stuff a few months ago.

Thanks guys! I figured that some cheap metal would be the way to go but I really like the idea of paints sticks too. God I'm so cheap ;)

Back