1st hand forged hunter. CRITIQUE wanted

Josh Dabney

Hi all.

This is my very first comleted hand forged knife which will be noted on the Certificate of authenticity. The blade was hand forged at the ABS Intro to bladesmithing class in Old Washington Arkansas (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !!!)

Knife Specs-
-4" edge 9 3/4" OAL
-1084 fully hardened high carbon steel hand finished to 500 grit
-Lightly antiqued Bronze guard
-Lightly antiqued and hammer domed brass pin
-Burl Source Stabilized Spalt Maple Burl with "Pistol Grip" butt

Sheath specs-
-Double 6/7 ounce vegetable tanned leather
-Hair on cowhide inlay with border stamp
-Handstitched with waxed thread
-Will fit up to a 2 1/4" belt
-Grain side inside and out fully dyed and sealed with a Satin Sheen finish

hunter027.jpg

hunter025.jpg

hunter022.jpg

hunter021.jpg

hunter020.jpg

hunter019.jpg

hunter018.jpg

hunter017.jpg

hunter015.jpg

hunter014.jpg

hunter013.jpg

Good, bad, or indifferent please share your comments, critiques, and critisism !

Offered for sale right here on KD-
http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?12326-Forged-1084-hunter&goto=newpost

Thanks alot- Josh

Wow, Josh, what a great knife and sheath!!! I think you must have paid attention in forging class because that's a great job. And the hair on cowhide inlay goes great with that spalted maple handle.

Oh sure, you ask for critique? I looked and looked and cant find anything wrong with it Josh. In fact it all looks great. Nice first hand forged blade. The sheath is top drawer too.

Great work Josh! Doesn't look like a first to me. Overall impression is high quality knife and sheath. Hope you get lot$ for it.

Pat

Thanks for all the kind words fellas !

I do sometimes forget that not everyone on the forums is familiar with me so I should've explained a little better that this is my first "forged" knife, not my first actual knife. I'd have to go back and count them up but this one is roughly around # 25-30 or there abouts.

Thanks again guys, Josh

Mark,

I've really enjoyed the forging I've done thus far. I'm on the brink of being set-up to begin forging here at home now. I still need to make an anvil stand and get some tongs and a few hammers but I plan to be mostly forging everything and very little stock removal from now on.

-Josh

Josh that is a great looking hunter. I would wear that knife and sheath with pride on all of my hunting trips. That is if it was mine LOL!!!!

Back