My first attempt

P

pandamonium

Hey there folks, These are some pics of my very first try at making a knife. The steel is unknown,so my backyard heat treat was just an experiment. All I had to use was an angle grinder to cut the blank, a bench grinder, and a porter cable 4x24 woodworking type belt sander. Don't be shy and don't be afraid to tell me how badly it sucks.
My mosaic pins and spacer material should be here on friday, I will try to finish it up yhis weekend. I'll put up some pics when it's done. Thanks!!

Attachments

• 009 (4).jpg
    009 (4).jpg
    94 KB · Views: 73
  • 001 (7).jpg
    001 (7).jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 009 (3).jpg
    009 (3).jpg
    94 KB · Views: 66
  • 017 (3).jpg
    017 (3).jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 018 (2).jpg
    018 (2).jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 104
Well,I'd say you for your first,your doing good.It does look better than my first.

On your next one,try bringing your bevels a little farther up.
Keep it up.

God bless,Keith

Looks perfectly respectable for a first. As has been mentioned, in the future you might want to grind your bevels further up towards the spine. You want the edge to be as thin, and the bevels as acute, as your steel can sustain under the use you will put it to. Given the tools you were working with I would say you are off to a good start.

Since your not sure of the steel or the H/T don't waste expensive mosiac pins and handle material on it.Put some cheap wood handles on it. Take it out and beat the snot out of it,see how it feels in your hand,does it hold an edge,break it and check out the grain structure.
Then go make another out of good steel.
Your off to a good start,Keep it up.
Stan

Thanks folks for the kind words, I had wanted to bring the bevels up, you can see in the outline on the blank in the pics, but I didn't make a centerline scribe for the edge and was a little unsure of where I was at. That and I was anxious to proceed. I don't want the edge too thin as the design plan is for a heavy use/chopping/utility/camp type knife. I want it to look decent though. I am going to try to finish it up this weekend, look for some finished pics around tuesday or wednesday night. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Since your not sure of the steel or the H/T don't waste expensive mosiac pins and handle material on it.Put some cheap wood handles on it. Take it out and beat the snot out of it,see how it feels in your hand,does it hold an edge,break it and check out the grain structure.
Stan

Great advice,I would take it.

God bless,Keith

Stan

Thanks for the advice Stan, I plan on beating the snot out of it but I don't think I'm gonna break it to check the grain, since I am pretty sure it is mild steel, I am not that concerned about it. BUT since it is my first of I am sure many, I want to keep it to compare my later knives to, and just because it IS my first one.

I have the handles on now, just waiting for time to shape and finish them. One question, I don't have a buffing wheel and will not be buying one for a while, I plan on grinding the handles to shape on my 4x24 porter cable belt sander, and hand sanding to maybe 320 or 400 grit. My question is does anyone use a finish on thier handles? I have some butcher block top finish, it is mineral oil with beeswax and caranuba wax, should bring up the grain nicely and the wax will allow for a moderate sheen. Any thoughts?

On wood handles I mostly use Watco's Danish oil.About 6 coats.Put one on let it sit 15 min.Wipe clean and put on another.When you get about 6 on it let it dry for a couple of days then buff with a terry towel.

I can understand your not wanting to break it since it's your first. Break the next one.:biggrin:
Stan

Well I finally finished it up, handles are cut from a piece of locust that I have had laying around for years. I am very happy with the results, and now that I have the bug there will be more to follow. I know the grind line should be higher on this and will work on that in the future. ( I got impatient!)

Attachments

• 017 (4).jpg
    017 (4).jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 14
  • 018 (3).jpg
    018 (3).jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 024 (2).jpg
    024 (2).jpg
    87 KB · Views: 13
Nothing wrong with that knife being a first, it looks great. From now on it can only get better.

Looks great.
For a first,you should be proud to show it off.
Now get to work on the next one.:biggrin:

God bless,Keith

Back