Flatgrinding with files

jylong_away

So I finished my first S90V blade with hand files, and it's now waiting for a sheath and handles.

It's a flat saber ground blade, with the grind beginning about 1/3 from the spine.

My next project is going to be a FFG blade with hand files, and was wondering if anyone had any tips about how to *not* file off too much metal from the spine when flat grinding? I'm trying to maintain as much blade thickness as possible.

Thanks!

Hi there

I have just finished my first knife (flat grind) and I'll be watching this thread for some much needed tips on flat filing etc.

Thanks jylong_away.

Use marking fluid or even a permanent marker to mark where you want your grind to stop. File some, check to make sure you are not going over the line, and file some more. The process isn't that different from grinding on a belt grinder. It's just much slower.

im useing files myself . the marker well help can you guys post some pic,s so use newbies can see how it works thanks.

Use sharp files and clean them often. Some folks use chalk to keep the file from loading. I just keep checking the file as I go and clean it every few passes. Once you start getting close to the thickness you want you want to switch from filing perpendicular to the blade and begin draw filing. That is the key to keeping everything clean. Remember, as you pull the file toward you the handle should be on the left.
I like using the spray dye and heat it with a heat gun for a few seconds. You only have to give it a light dusting with the dye. It dries almost instantly and is easy to see. Oh, and clamping the work to a board for support is important to keep the blade from flexing and will keep you from stabbing yourself in the gut.

Last edited:
there are some vedios on you tube of flat grinding with files and I thing the maker is on this forum

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I've found that filing perpendicular got me a much better result in terms of a clean transition from the spine of the knife where the flat saber grind begins. My first attempt was with draw filing, which didn't turn out as well ;P

Have just about finished the second blade.. 0.3" of S90V is *not* easy to file!

Back