OKLAHOMA KGA shop tour

mike miller

KNIFE MAKER
KNIFE NUTS and makers- RSVP if coming mimiller1 at brightok.net

The shop tour will be at the home of Mike Miller's. It will be held on the 16th of October and the hours are from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM. This is the usual times of our shop tours and seem to work out great for traveling and visiting with each other. Don't forget that we encourage tail gate sales as a way of sharing our extra materials with others. We will also have an Iron In the Hat to help cover expenses and raise money for our group. All donations to the iron in the hat will be appreciated. We do want to have a business meeting after lunch and discuss our previous knife show and our next one. I would like to have a group photo this time for our web site. We need to get a bit more exposure for our club and one way is to find a way to make people want to come to our web site. This is something that you can give the url to some one and they can look us up to see what all we do. Our main problem has been to inform the public. This sounds easy but is quite difficult to do. When we put the bill boards up, our web site count went up and we ended up with about 3 -4 times the hits as we usually do. This is a good sign. Of course since the knife show is over, it has fallen back down. Remember, you also have a web page on our web site that you can direct people to.

We have scheduled three demos for Saturday.

I will be doing a demo on showing how to attach a slab handle to a full tang integral. I will also bring the forging trailer for any that may want to forge some and for Brion Tomberlin. The youngsters are especially welcome to try their hand at forging. We need to keep after the young ones that are interested in knife making so they will be able to display their wares at our show.

The next demo will be on how to form the Kydex sheath with heat by Bill Coye. Bill has had a lot of practice at this and will probably show us a few tricks of the trade.

Brion Tomberlin will do a forging demo by forging a flat bar into a small hunter. Brion has a lot of experience at this particular forging project. The small forged hunter is the most sought after hunter that most blade smiths sell.

Calvin Harkins will be doing the filming of the demos for later sale on the web site. He is a lot more informed than I am so it should be a lot easier on the eyes and mind.

Mikes address is listed on the web page www.theknifegroup.com/miller.htm .

As usual, this is a covered dish affair for side dishes and the main course provided by Mike. I think he has a hankering for barbeque and pecan pie. If you prefer to donate to the kitty, that will be alright too.

Ray Kirk
www.rakerknives.com
KGA Sec/Treas
A chance of success exists when you try,
Failure is a sure thing when you quit.

I hope things go well for you fellas,
we need more folks doing this!
Especially, introducing young people to the world of steel.
If I could make it,I'd be there to contribute whatever I could.

The last two have been a blast!!! I think it is Ray that has the hankering for a pecan pie. I am bringing the pecan pie Ray. I look forward to seeing everyone!

Back