White Micarta??

calharkins

Hello Guys,

I have some white micarta that I need to put on a blade. I hear all kinds of don'ts on white micarta, but very few do's. What is the best way to finish white micarta?
Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm assuming it's paper based? In general, the toughest part about using white micarta is keeping it clean. Buffing is pretty much a "no-no"...once you get "stuff" in any open pores, it will have black flecks in it forever. Just keep the thought in mind "keep it clean"...that means using belts that have not been used for anything else, likewise with sandpaper if you do any hand finishing. Something worth mentioning during hand finishing.... try not to run your sandpaper across anything else/and other part of the knife while working on white micarta. If you happen to have a guard or bolster on the knife, and run the sandpaper on any joint, the paper will pick up material from it, and deposit on the micarta, causing those cursed black flicks.

Cal,

I have used white linen micarta on one knife and didn't have any special problems with it. As Ed said, you have to be conscious of contamination from other materials. I used a well raked loose buff with no compound to buff it and it worked fine. I will admit that there were a few minute black specks in it but you really had to look for them. If it's going to be a user and not a safe queen, they shouldn't be any problem.

Here is a link of the knife I'm talking about. I don't seem to be able to figure out how to post a photo from my gallery today. :confused2:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/4qtRbVhbrLieyWbqoaGqhA?feat=directlink

Hope that helps.
Carey

Last edited:
I appreciate all of your comments. I believe if I keep it clean and uncontaminated, I will be ok. It's kinda like sterile procedure when working with bacteria. I did that, so I should be able to do this. I will post the results when I get to it.
Thanks!

Hello Cal,
In addition don't forget to seal the micarta with something or it'll start collection dirt in those open pours and look like crap in short order. I use 5 min epoxy mixing it up and apply to micarta evenly then try real hard to wipe it all off. Those pours get filled in and the micarta still doesn't look wet. Some folks use super glue but I have a hard time applying it evenly and getting it steel wooled down right.
Kelley
http://blade.home.sonic.net

Back