Caswell EDX Prototype

JCaswell

Here are pix of the first EDX (one of 15 in the prototype batch).
It got plenty of pass-around time at G2!
It was also the happy recipient of "Most Unique Design" award.

The EDX is a heavy-duty cutting tool with thick Titanium frame (each side is .220 near the pivot and tapers to about .140 toward the back.)
Blade length is 3 1/4 and .160 thick, bronze bushings.

The EDX introduces V 2.0 of the patent-pending In-Line Clip which, in this case, is ONE PIECE with the lockbar. As a result, the clip retracts when the lockbar drops into place to lock the blade, and cams out to deploy when the blade is folded.
There is a strong detent for open and shut positions, but the EDX be flicked open with ease by means of the large 7/16 titanium thumbstuds.

The EDX also features the new patent-pending "LockDown Pivot System."
This is a special pivot system that allow for fine blade adjustment like a standard pivot, but unlike a standard pivot The "LockDown Pivot" is tightened down hard to become a stand-off, or structural member of the assembly---not a loose screw as with other pivots. This is beneficial because it offers structural support/rigidity/strength at the pivot point, a big improvement over conventional pivot technology.

Because of the enhanced assembly rigidity and location of this rigidity, the LockDown opens up new design opportunities, such as on the EDX. The EDX features two pivots, front and back and no other stand-offs or fasteners. It would not have been possible to do this (and still have a superiorly rigid assembly) without the "LockDown".

In case you're wondering, the DataMatrix code on the back of the blade replaces the standard litany of marks you'd expect on a knife. It can be read with a standard laser reader, or with a smartphone and one of the better free datamatrix-reader aps. IN fact, you should be able to scan it right off the screen with your phone.
It reads:

Caswell Knives
EDX (prototype)
CMP154CM, Bos

I'm pretty sure this represents the first time Datamatrix has been used on a knife.

Anyway, Hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• EDXfrontopenmat.jpg
    EDXfrontopenmat.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 32
  • EDXfrontclosedmat.jpg
    EDXfrontclosedmat.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 26
  • EDXbackmat.jpg
    EDXbackmat.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 25
  • EDXbackopenscreen.jpg
    EDXbackopenscreen.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 29
That's an awesomely wicked little design you have there. I look forward to seeing more on your pivot and clip/lockbar designs.

In case you're wondering, the DataMatrix code on the back of the blade replaces the standard litany of marks you'd expect on a knife. It can be read with a standard laser reader, or with a smartphone and one of the better free datamatrix-reader aps. IN fact, you should be able to scan it right off the screen with your phone.
It reads:

Caswell Knives
EDX (prototype)
CMP154CM, Bos

I'm pretty sure this represents the first time Datamatrix has been used on a knife.

Anyway, Hope you enjoy.

This is just really cool man. I don't know what to say :)

Is this bar code etched in or do you do it some other way?

Last edited:
Laser machined. It's about .012 deep. More expensive to do it this way (compared with a laser 'dark mark'), bit it's there FOREVER!
Thanks for the kind words!

Wow. That's seriously one of the best evolutions in knife designed technology in a long time, so much in a small package - and I dig that blade shape. Definitely on my "want" list.

I got to play with this at The Gathering and talked with Joe at length about this design and Tectonic you are SERIOUSLY correct. This is an amazing idea. Additionally, this knife has smooth action and the button release, lock and hidden clip are all integral. It is incredible and it is also actually a fairly simple mechanism. Kudos Joe, nice work.

Eric

Back