zipper club

SVanderkolff

Anyone else out there a member of the zipper club. Looks like I will be joining you in early November, the date has not been set yet but that's looking likely. I need to know how long it will be before I can get back in the shop, which is in the basement. I don't mind missing work but I hate to think of not being able to work int he shop. I'm not doing any forging just stock removal. I would really like to have some conversations with people who have been there. Everything else I have been able to find on the net is mostly "POOR ME" and thats not what I need to hear.
Thanks
Steve

Steve - what is the zipper club? Am I dense or something?
CustomSignatureBarHD.png

Best regards and God Bless,
Wayne

Full Time Maker
Member of the Professional Knifemakers Association
www.jarrettknives.com
Are you a Dawg yet?

Be sure to check out the new Jarrett Knives Forum

Zipper club are those who have had open heart bypass surgery and have therefore ended up with a big zipper shaped scar from thier sternum to thier throat. Sorry I should have explained.
Steve

Steve,

I am not a member of THAT zipper club but have quite a few zippers myself.

I hate hearing you are facing this but love the attitude. My father-in-law (Greatest man I ever met) Pete Lozano had this surgery many years ago. The big thing I remember about it was he had a pillow he held to his chest when he coughed. He was as far from a complainer that you can get but he did depend on that pillow. I suggest you get a nice firm pillow just in case you need it.

Although Pete is no longer with us thanks to Colon Cancer he recovered quite fast from his heart surgery and was up and around and working on his truck (crawling under it) in a couple weeks.

I hope all goes well and you get back to grinding quickly. Maybe you should grind a bunch of blades and get them ready for hand sanding, then just hand sand until you get feeling up to other tasks.

Good luck.

Bob

That may not be a bad idea Bob. The action of hand sanding might be good therapy after a week or two of healing. It's good to see you have such a positive outlook Steve. Please keep us posted and know that we will all be praying for your speedy recovery.

Steve. I wish you a very fast recovery !! I had an anurizm removal between my heart and lungs several years ago and had a piece of teflon tubing installed. It went super well. I'll bet your's does too! Frank

Steve,
I hope everything goes smoothly, with a fast recovery. My father has had a few angioplasty, and a pacemaker installed(I have to do all the welding jobs for him now). Best of luck!

Steve, sorry to hear that you have to go through that but I like your attitude, too. I've had stent work done but never had a zipper installed. I know I felt like a new person after they got the blockages out. Maybe you could learn to crochet until you can get back into the shop.

My father had it done. Main thing I remember was to "get the pillow" and he was is good shape, (relative I know) and not overweight, which helped his healing alot. He did pick up some germ in the hospital, so get the heck out of there as fast as you can. Good Luck, Dozier

I just remembered to ask you to count the number of staples they use to get you together again. It was 68 for me. The training nurses wanted to do the removal so I got them to count for me. Yes that pillow thing is important. Frank

I hope it goes well for you. I haven't had it but I've known several that have and each of them said they felt a million times better when it was done.

My father had a quad do 8 years ago and he has felt better and better. Hope it goes well for you. Keep you in our prayers.

I got my zipper back in 2001, Stephen, after they tried inserting a couple of stents to help. They kept 'blocking' so my doc suggested the 'bypass'. Told me I have one blocked artery and it's near the front of my chest... should just be a small 1 1/2" - 2" incision. I woke up from the surgery with an 8" stitched up slit... when they went in, they found a 2nd blockage and replaced them both with 2 blood vessels from my leg.
The only time I felt any pain was when I laughed, coughed or sneezed. That little pillow came in very handy! :1:
All the best to you. Try to rest up a bit before tackling your craft... you just might be a wee bit 'wobbily' after you get that zipper.

I had a quad bi pass 10 years ago this month. 53 at the time. Actually was having a heart attack when I left work. Drove past the hospital exit and pulled over about 1 mile after it and sat there till someone stopped to see what was going on. Then I got a $500.00 ride back to the hospital I just passed. My stay in the hospital was pretty long before and after the surgery because of the heart attack. Best to get it done before that experience cause the hospital stay is usually less than 5 days if that. I tried going in the shop the first day I got out but found out I did not have the strength. It was roughly 30 days till I was back in the shop and the first thing I did was light up the forge and started hand forging without the doctors knowledge. They told me 3 months without picking up anything that weighed over 10 pounds. I was back at my construction job as soon as I hit the 3 month mark.

Getting it done is a real pain but much better than the alternative. I wish you the best!

Hey Steve,

I don't really have any experience with open heart surgery but my wife has had abdominal surgery 7 or 8 times and I told her to just get a zipper installed. She thought it might be a pretty good idea but the doctors wouldn't go along with it. Get the pillow for the ride home from the hospital in case your driver likes pot holes.

Take care and know that I wish you my best.

Carey

Back