Knife makers:what do YOU do with blades & knives that aren't quite "perfect"...?

Ironwolf

The Knife Poet
Over the years, I've read articles and posts by knife makers who
have bins and barrels that end up being home to blades that "don't make the cut", in terms of un-fixable cosmetic flaws, slight design "oops", etc. I know A.G.Russell has a "bargain" section for knives with cosmetic flaws,
but what do YOU do with those unfortunate red-headed step-child blades and knives that you feel aren't saleable?

Even if it's just a slight design,fit or finish "oops" that doesn't detract from function?
The reason I ask is, I read a while back about a maker who, even if the knife was structurally sound, would scrap a knife that had a cosmetic defect (that couldn't be remedied)...
(psst; John, if you EVER find yourself with a flawed but structurally sound Fang, I have a trash can you can chuck it in!:3: )

I bring this up because I've binned a couple blades that I screwed up and couldn't make right,
and a buddy of mine now has them (for free) because he said " I don't care if they don't look perfect as long as they work fine".
He offered me some cash to cover material costs, but I was happy to let him have them.
(with the provision that if anyone ever asked about them,he tells them that they "rejects" that I gave him)

Last edited:
I have plenty blades that are fully functional, but not up to snuff in terms of finish - scratches that won't come out without making the blade way thinner, slightly lopsided grinds, small divots from rolling the bevel over the spine, etc. Some have had the snot beaten out of them to test edge geometry and so forth. Most reside comfortably in a bucket to remind me to be more careful.

I've considered selling them cheap without my mark on them, just to get feedback on how they hold up under other folks' testing. Of course I'd tell any prospective buyer that they're "seconds" and have cosmetic flaws. I'd be interested in seeing what other makers and especially buyers think about that idea.

I feel pretty strongly that signing your name to a piece one way or another, means it's the very best work you can do at that point.

Most of the knives I've made that have had flaws were junked. One became my shop knife. If it has a flaw that I know is there I just can't sell it. Thats why its taken me so long to finish knives, I'm trying to get them the best they can be.

I do destructive testing, its fun and you learn alot. Bend, pound, and throw tip down until it breaks or I feel better. I was really interested in how much abuse the tip of a knife could take if the HT was good. So I stab 2 x 4 and dig hole trying to break the tip, once done I do some cutting tests and then into the vice to bend and break.

...I've considered selling them cheap without my mark on them, just to get feedback on how they hold up under other folks' testing. Of course I'd tell any prospective buyer that they're "seconds" and have cosmetic flaws. I'd be interested in seeing what other makers and especially buyers think about that idea.

I feel pretty strongly that signing your name to a piece one way or another, means it's the very best work you can do at that point.

...(psst...James,how cheap?) :3:
Actually, if you want to emai/PM me,I seriously would be interested in seeing what you have.
It would have to be after I relocated and got settled, but I'll be back living in a rural environment with long days to run the knives thru their paces!

I do destructive testing, its fun and you learn alot. Bend, pound, and throw tip down until it breaks or I feel better. I was really interested in how much abuse the tip of a knife could take if the HT was good. So I stab 2 x 4 and dig hole trying to break the tip, once done I do some cutting tests and then into the vice to bend and break.

Do you document the tests? I'd get it on video as a learning tool, AND to show customers what your knives are capable of.
I know most makers test their knives to destruction,but not all do.

There are a few nails in the wall with "mistake" blades hanging from them. The "live and learn" wall.

BC

Use it as a pattern, take pics and write down what I did wrong. Flex test them and drop the tip first to see what kind of damage happen and the list goes on. Basically they are great learning aids for me.

Good question and one I have been asking myself. I am in the process of finishing off a knife now that I am not sure I want to sell. The knife is flawless, other then my etched logo. My name etched good, but only the "CAN" in ontarion, canada came out. It is etched too deep to try and remove it. I was thinking about selling this knife for half price. What do you guys think? I was thinking some one would get a great user knife at a great price.

James, not a bad idea. I've bought a knife from a maker at a discount because it was a "second" and I'd buy yours too, sight unseen. That said.
Other options might be better, for you, is to raffle the knife or donate it to a "cause" as a raffle item. Label it as a "typo" and generate some funds for yourself or a worthy group. Another, send the knife on a trip, either as a user to be tested by others or to makers that you respect to get their feedback, other than the obvious blem of course. Offer it for sale to your existing customer base as a "special" and to promote customer loyalty and to say thanks to those that support you.
Longer than my usual posts, hope it isn't too wordy. Will serve as my blog, might even try to figure out how to "blog it" Dozier

Last edited:
I've had very few that I couldn't make right although some became a smaller knife than first intended.
I have had a couple CPM 154 blades show a flaw that couldn't be ground out without making the edge too thin but they were still usable blades just not show quality. If this happens I never throw one away without doing a destruction test first. At least you get some good out of it. I've never thrown a knife blade away in one piece.:biggrin:

Mr. Janik said it right, regrind regrind regrind. When I make mini's I put them aside for gifts, just for fun. I said to one guy "that started off as a full size knife" He laughed. he thought I was kidding..

I still haven't made one that is perfect.:31:

I have a few out there that I wish I could get back.
When I made them, I was sure proud of them.
Now I look back at pictures of my early work and cringe.

Now I trash them if I make a mistake that can't be fixed.
I don't want my name on anything thats not my best work.
And I don't send anything out without my name on it.

I feel like a guy can get all the junk knives he needs at wally world
for less than a twenty dollar bill.

We, as custom knife makers ask for and get a premium for our work.
It should be our best. Greg

Whew!! That last post was a long one for me. I usually don't post much but this a subject that is is a topic frequently around my house.
My wife doesn't get it when I junk something for a flaw that only I can see. I agree that most of the time a buyer doesn't look that close.
But a collector or another knife maker will. You never know where your work will end up. Our very reputation is at stake, and it's hard to repair one of those.
I also feel that our reputations as knife makers are linked, I think that in a strange way we represent each other. I may be all wet on that one but it's the way I feel... Thanks for listening to my rant. Greg

Back