Japanes Knife help!

son of liberty

What is this style of knife called and how dose the handle attach?

index.php

http://www.knifeproshop.com/index.p...pID=24&zenid=1942c4da9775546381c8beaaffba9323

Looks kind of like a contemporary style aikuchi. In the picture you can see the bamboo peg which acts the same as any retaining pin. Basically pop that out and it will release the blade.

If I remember right, traditionally they used a natural gum or resin to set the peg,which held it securely,but allowed it to be popped out when needed.
The gum/resin was warmed,applied,and when it cooled,set up firm, holding the peg very secure.

Last edited:
The tsuka (handle) is constructed by doing a relief carving of the two pieces of the tsuka. Once carved to accurate shape (tight fit is crucial) the two pieces are glued together.

I'm not sure about the traditional technique used, but I was taught that the mekugi ana (pin hole) should be larger on the right than on the left and slightly offset. The mekugi (pin) is tapered so that it would then fit the tapered and slightly offset holes. the force applied with the mekugi into the mekugi ana thus applied torque so to say holding the blade tightly in place.

If you check out "Bubba-San's" forum, you'll see a thread or two where he goes over the construction method.

Back