Walnut Skinner

Frankallen

Here's another Skinner I finished up for some of these ole Bama Rednecks. The person I made it for, is an avid Deer Hunter,hopefully he will get to use it this year, instead of making kindling with it. Hope y'all like it. Thanks for looking!! :)

Frank

Stats:

Steel.....1/8" 1095...HT by me

Scales....Crotch Walnut from Kevin "Woodman"

Pins.....1/8" brass

Overall Length.....8 1/2"

Blade Length.....4 1/4"

128178209.jpg

128178210.jpg

128178208.jpg

Another job well done, Frank.

I've been watching all your knives for a little while now, and notice there are never any grind lines in the ricasso area. Do you incorporate bevels in the entire length of the blade or do you use a short convex grind on the cutting edge?

JLaw

Another job well done, Frank.

I've been watching all your knives for a little while now, and notice there are never any grind lines in the ricasso area. Do you incorporate bevels in the entire length of the blade or do you use a short convex grind on the cutting edge?

JLaw

Thanks for the kind comment!!...I convex grind about 1/3 of the way up to the spine.....Then sand with 400 grit and then use Scotch brite pads to finish. This way I have a satin finish on the Blade.
Not bragging, but I cut over 200 pieces of thick cardboard with one of my skinners, and it would still shave hair and slice typing paper:)

Not saying this is the right or the only way,just the way it works for me.

Thanks,

Frank

Last edited:
JLaw....Here's one of my skinners doing the cardboard test. USA Carboard not Chinese....Very proud of this test, I do my own Heat Treating!

Thanks Again,

Frank

Here is a small knife I made,and I ran a test on it. I cut 201 pieces of (American) cardboard, some of them long cuts. When I got through, I could slice copy paper and it would also shave hair off my arm. This is a small knife 6 5/8" long,cutting part of blade around 2 1/2"...Nothing really pretty, but very proud of this little knife. Oh yea, the handles are Argentine Lignum Vitae (Ironwood) and also O1 steel...

117715663.jpg

Ah, I see. Heck, with that kind of cutting ability I'd say you've earned the right to brag a little! That kind of cutting test is not only a testament to the blade itself, but also speaks volumes of the heat treat. Good job all the way around.

JLaw

Frank, that is one good looking unit. Could probably gut a mullet at the Florabama if you had too?
Dozier

Back