Carved Stag utility/hunter

M

Mathsr

This is a knife that I just completed for a very patient customer. It has a carved sambar stag handle, a 5" blade made of CPM S30V and nickel silver guard. It is on its way back from Coop where this photo was made and will shortly be headed out to the new owner.
391407717.jpg

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh, pardon me while I wipe the drool from my chin. WOW!!! That looks amazing. I hate stag handles, but that looks absolutely amazing. Great Job!

Wow, that is great work, have not seen a basket weave pattern carved in a long time, great work. Deane

That is awesome work Harry! The visual effect is remarkable. No basket weave on the sheath though.

Pat

Well the first words I muttered after seeing the image and spewing coffee on my screen was "Holy Sh1t"! :35:

Man that is freakin awsome work and the knife is pretty good too!:lol:
Sorry the knife is great but the carved stag is beyond belief. I didn't expect anything like that when I opened the thread.:clap::thumbup: You knocked that one out of the ballpark!:punk:

Thanks for the comments guys! It is just a little evidence that the Lord allows a blind squirrel to find an acorn every now and then. I was getting them off Joe...that knife is what is known as "stress relief". Don't know what the next one will look like since the stress has been reduced.:biggrin:

JEFFBUZZ I don't know exactly because it is not something I can sit down and do straight through until I'm finished. I did try to time one side of this one because we have a good many questions about it. Laying it out and getting it ready to carve (The most important part. Time spent here is what saves the job) took about an hour and a half until I was satisfied it was going to work. Then about 12 hours of carving time. There was a little more clean up work and some finishing work that would put it close to 30 hours for both sides.

Getting myself to the point that I had the guts to risk a $75.00 piece of stag on something like this took me a good while longer!:biggrin:

This type of carving is not usually something we undertake during the hours we would normally be making knives. We do this after "hours" as kind of a hobby to a hobby. I hate to say we do it for "fun" because it isn't much fun when you have been doing it for a couple of hours and you can't straighten out your fingers. We both do love to do it though and almost always have a couple in progress.

Back