A lot of guys with medical issues lately

Bob Warner

KNIFE MAKER
Hey guys,

I hope all that are having problems right now get them all cleared up and do not have any ongoing issues and that everyone lives a good long time.

I do have a question for you guys and the guys luckily enough to still be completely healthy.

I know some people here have day jobs that pay the bills and have insurance and all that and I hope you guys can appreciate the position you are in, it is tough not being in your shoes.

So, here is a nutshell is my position for those that don't already know. Completely trashed left leg due to motorcycle accident. Very weak leg and a limp, trouble standing for over about 15 minutes. Also broke the L2 vertebra (separate incident) in my back and have nerve issues. I am a diabetic (type 2, over 50 and fat but working on it) and need daily medications.

Not working and haven't for two years now, just trying to scrape by week by week to pay the bills. Can't do the physical stuff anymore and nobody wants my brain AND I am old.

My wife has Lupus and Sjrogrens diseases. Both suck. She has a part time (4 days a week) job that kicks her butt physically.She has to regenerate the other three days. No benefits at her job.

We have no insurance.

NOT LOOKING FOR SYMPATHY just setting the path of this thread.

I am wondering if there is anyone else in a similar position and how you deal with medical issues, especially the serious ones some of you have been experiencing lately without insurance.

Are the hospitals willing to do major stuff (Heart Surgery like IG is facing) without guaranteed payment?

There was a lady up the street with Lung Cancer and they refused to give her Chemo unless they paid a LOT of cash up front. Her family pitched in together and came up with the cash. Unfortunately she did not survive but without the cash her family put up, she would not have had the chance.

The last thing I can handle right now is a major medical issue and I have no idea what my options are if something comes up for my wife or for myself.

Anyone with any suggestion or knowledge on this issue please share what you know. I am sure I am not the only one in this position and there are others that can benefit from your responses.

that's a tough spot to be in Bob. I wish I could help with some answers but I can't.

I don't have any answers, about healthcare that is a huge problem, just a comment on possibly making a few bucks.

People are hungry to learn new skills, many have grown up without ever using tools or building anything. Someone with your skills has a lot to offer.

Last year my donation to a charity auction was a day in my shop to learn blacksmithing or forge a knife. Much to my surprise it got the most bids and it resulted in a number of people lining up to come up to my shop. I know in the northeast a number of woodworkers, glassblowers and signmakers that do the same thing. Charging about $100 per day for lessons.

There is a big desire by people to become more self-reliant. I think that schools have missed the boat by not teaching practical things. For proof look at the rise of maker fairs and Techshop locations. http://techshop.ws/

People do want you for your brain, experience and common sense.

ernie

I'm not completely healthy but I am alive and its not because of luck, it soley by the grace of God. The most important thing you can do in your life is to turn to Jesus Christ and turn your life over to him, thats when the healing begins.

Thanks for the replies so far. Like I said, I am not looking for sympathy, I just happen to be in this situation and not ashamed to say so. I am sure there are others here that are probably in a worse situation.

There must be options that I am unaware of and maybe someone out there has already solved some of the problems I and others are facing. Any advise is appreciated.

Ernie, I have advertised locally (Craigslist) for teaching to make knives and also to teach welding. I have actually had a couple members here come out and learn some of what I know. I really enjoy teaching and wish I could do it every day. It is a lot of fun to see the light turn on when someone completely understands something they were having problems with.

Again, I don't want to make this about me and my personal situation but about how to deal with medical issues when you are broke, not working and don't have insurance. I could not handle someone telling me they won't look at my sick wife because I don't have any cash.

I know all to well the fear you have. I have only spent about 9 months of the last 24 working due to Chemo treatments, on top of this my wife has RA and Lupus. I am fortunate enough to work for a company that has allowed me to go on leave and front my portion of the Insurance benefit.

I would suggest that you check into what assistance your state offers, I know that everybody bad mouths CA but this state saved my bacon back in the day. When I was diagnosed with Melanoma in '96 I was self-employed, the state had a share of cost program that allowed me to get the surgery I needed and move on.

With the current situation a state program came into play again, we are forced to pay into short term disabilty as part of payroll deductions. When the need arises you have the doctor fill out the form and you get a short term disabilty check. You won't get rich but it made the house payments.

David

Bob,
You should look into SS disability if you already havn't.
My best buddy, 54 yrs old, has had a tough 3 yrs with emphazima (?), 5 heart stints and his knees are shot. He was in the same boat as yourself untill he looked into state funded insurance plans and the disability. It didn't happen overnite but you have to be persistant.

Rudy

X2...

on what Rudy said. When my wife applied for disabilty it was not an overnight process. I would recommend doing what she did, keep a journal of your daily health struggles and get copies of all medical records. This is what my wife did, and she was granted disabilty the first time.

The light turned on for me Bob, and it's still burning brightly! The wife isn't too thrilled, but she'll get over it! I think! :what!::lol:

I only wish I could do it DAILY in your shop!

Charlie

Bob, I hope and pray things turn around for you. My sister had the disability discussion with her doctor last week. His comments were that she exceeded all requirements but that in his experience, everyone gets turned down the first time. Hard to handle when you look around at some of the people getting disability. In our area, we have lawyers that will work through the process with you. I'm not a fan of lawyers, but they are a fact of life. Some advertise a 90% success rate for first time submissions, and there is no charge intil you are qualified. You might look into that possibility.
dennie

I do not want this to be a pity party for me.

I was just curious how people in my situation are dealing with major medical issues so I will know what to do in the event something big happens.

My daily struggles are something I have to deal with and not posted here to get sympathy but to justify why the questions were asked.

As far a knifemaking classes, I give them if anyone wants them.

Thanks,

Bob

I didnt mean it that way. I really learned alot and enjoyed it I felt like it was worth every penny and then some

Thanks Anthony. I am just saying in general that it is not intended to be a pity party.

I am glad you were happy with what you learned. You know I like to help.

I may be contacting you soon about heat treating a stainless blade since I don't have the heat treat oven built yet for myself (too many projects when you are trying to rebuild your entire shop. I am getting there slowly. If I could get you to heat and quench it, I can temper it. There may be an issue with the size for your oven, the blade will be 8.25" long and may not fit in your oven.

Bob,

I have seen people in your situation for years and it really gets me going. People who need and deserve a little help while we have to support countless people who are too sorry and lazy to provide for themselves when they are physically able. I'll hush about now because I don't want to get anything going that will raise the ire of one of our moderators or offend anyone.

In years past when I didn't have any insurance, I was always blessed to be able to find good doctors and hospitals who would work with me on a cash basis and would often lower their fees because they didn't have to fuss with insurance companies. The hospitals I worked with were always willing to work with me on payments. Heck, it only took me two years to pay for my youngest son who was delivered by cesarean section and then I got to pay for an appendectomy. God is good and people will often help when they can and they know that you're sincere.

While I was typing this, I had a thought about your work situation. With your teaching abilities and shop experience, have you thought about trying to get a gig at a local community college or tech school. I have no idea what credentials they might require but it sure wouldn't hurt to check into it.

Good luck Bob,

Carey

Hey Bob
Come and join us in Canada. Taxes are a @@@@@ but the medical is free. Probably not what you want to hear but you did ask for suggestions. No other answers just good luck and keep on keeping on.
Steve

wow first time I have been censored.

Back