Sharp enough

CTaylorJr

The little freebie blade that was finished tonight proved its worth...

I held at too steep of an angle when going for shaving and it bit... :34:

This is with LITTLE pressure and NO forward movement at first! Yeah, I jumped when I felt the pain! :31:

I think it's sharp! :what!:

What do you think?

DSC_0367.jpg

Charlie

To heck with the cut, where's the knife? :D We want to see what it looks like.

You think that's sharp? Let me tell you what must have been the sharpest knife I ever made. A fellow was visiting me to pick up a second hunting knife he had ordered. He brought along another very casual friend. While in my shop with his new knife in hand he was telling his companion that he would never buy another factory made. This fellow said to him that he would expect this new one would shave hair and put his hand out to receive the knife. He then took the knife and put it not to his arm but to his face and stroked it down. It must have been the sharpest knife I ever made, because he didn't cut himself. And that's a fact !!!! Frank

If you felt it cut you, it's not sharp yet. SHARP is when you don't even realize you're cut till you feel or see the blood trickling down your arm.

I'm not (just) being a smarty-pants. The interesting-looking scar on my thumb came from a good old Buck 110. I'd spent hours very carefully sharpening it on a good old-fashion Arkansas stone. Unfortunately I wasn't as careful using it... let's just say watching TV and whittling don't mix :biggrin:

Anyway the cut itself didn't hurt one bit, only the small "thunk" feeling of the edge hitting bone let me know something might be amiss. Now, cutting the loose flap of skin of with a scissors... THAT hurt. :sad:

I know, I'm an idiot. Hey, I was only 16 when that happened.

Last edited:
I agree with gaurd dog. If you feel the cut then it still needs a bit more attention on the stone. Popping hairs isn't enough. You need to slice paper with very little effort if you want it really sharp.

Back