Clayed Spring Creek Hunter WIP

MLazyB

I've been wanting to do a clay quench for while just for the fun of doing it. As this turns out it will be special for me for a number of reasons.

My first WIP.
Using 1095 for the blade ( I normaly use 5160 or 1080)
First clayed Spring creek hunter
Help raise funds for a family in need. ( See note below )

I recieved a phone call yesterday form a friend requesting one of my Spring Creek Hunters. The gentleman said the he and others were doing a fund raiser for a local family who lost their husband and father to a work related accident. Now how could I refuse this request.

I going to start with the blade's ready to put on clay. The smaller blade will be my EDC.

Clay quenched Spring hunter001.jpg

First thin layer of clay.

Clay quenched Spring hunter002.jpg

Second layer where we want to keep soft.

Clay quenched Spring hunter003.jpg

Into the forge to heat up
IMG_0649.jpg

After quench ready to clean up and temper

IMG_0650.jpg

I'll try to keep this moving along. If there are any question please ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Bing
MLazyB Custom Knives
ABS Journeyman Smith

Bing, I can't wait to see this progress also. And kudos for kicking in for the great cause.

Did you let the second layer of clay dry before you put it in the forge or did you put it in still wet?

Patience guy's, I finished the third tempering cycle last nite. I will be posting up today's progress later today.

John
Did you let the second layer of clay dry before you put it in the forge or did you put it in still wet?
Yes I did John. If you don't it can just blow off when you put it in the forge.

Bing

MLazyB Custom Knives
ABS Journeyman Smith

Day 2

Started early today. Have some honey do's waiting.

Started with 600 grit hand finish after grinding
IMG_0656.jpg

Not to bad here but still have a long way to go

IMG_0658.jpg

Light etch to see what we have. Those darned hamon's are camera shy

IMG_0657.jpg

Removed most of the sludge from etch ready to start with the 800 grit

IMG_0659.jpg

Milt
Very informative post. I want to try this. What did you use for clay?

Milt
Milt I use Satinite I believe from K&G in Arizona.

Bing
MLazyB Custom Knives
ABS Journeyman Smith

Hey Bing, thanks for the great pictures and comments.

Could you give a general idea on the type of quench and a little feel for the soak time. Rookie knucklehead disclaimer, it looks like you pushed the hardened area quite a ways up under the clay.

Good for you for helping out with friends, Craig

Ready to start on handle

cdent
Hey Bing, thanks for the great pictures and comments.

Could you give a general idea on the type of quench and a little feel for the soak time. Rookie knucklehead disclaimer, it looks like you pushed the hardened area quite a ways up under the clay.
Craig I used oil for the quench. Most who heat treat 1095 use water. I just wanted to try the oil. After quench cool down I was able to check hardness with a file. It just skated across the edge without any bite. I think the reason for the pushed Hardened area maybe from using oil instead of water. As far as soak time I just kept The blade in long enough to become nonmagnetic.

Here I'm finishing the blade after 1200 grit and etch. I'm using flitz and a worn gray scotch brite pad.
IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg
Sorry for no pics of the blade before starting on handle. We will see it later.

Now we are drilling the holes in the handle material. I rough out the profile of the slabs and tape them both to the blade. Then drill 3 #52 size holes for a 1/16" pin.

IMG_0665.jpg

Then I take everything apart and shape the scales in a wedge shape.

IMG_0668.jpg

I do the final profileing after everything is glued up.

IMG_0669.jpg

Here we need to profile the front of the handle material as the will be no bolsters. I pin the 2 halves together and use my router to shape both halves. With all 3 pins in place I get a perfect match once the handle is glued on to the blade.
IMG_0671.jpg
I'm sanding here at 150grit and will go to 600 then buff before glue up.
IMG_0672.jpg

Dry fit to make sure everything is good to go. Notice the pins are 1/8" proud. we will give them a slight peening.
IMG_0676.jpg

Thats it for today. Thanks for following along. Stay tuned for handle finishing.

Bing
MLazyB Custom Knives
ABS Journeyman Smith

Some more handle work

We are working on the handle after glueup. I had to go back to work monday so this will slow down a little.

It's all glued up with Accru Glas and clamped. I like to use the spring clamps so that you don't squeeze out all the glue.
IMG_0678.jpg
Now I have already peened the pin's slightly and I'm flattening out everything and making sure the scales are even on both sides.
IMG_0681.jpg
Now I like to do the outside profile using the disc a much as I can. This helps keep everything true to the sides.
IMG_0683.jpg
Catching those tight curves on the finger groove. Using the small wheel.
IMG_0684.jpg
Now that we have everything trued to the tang. I use my router that I mounted on my table saw to do round over. I use a 1/4" Round over bit with carbide. Special note: When I first started making knives this is where I would leave the handle.
IMG_0688.jpg
This is where we will stop for today. Next post I show how I hand finish. That darned Hamon Is still trying to hide on me. I going to sneek up on him and catch a shot to post before this is done.

Bing
MlazyB Custom Knives
ABS Journeyman Smith

I think it's great how you put the woodworking tools into play for this wip. That panel on the last picture is whispering 'checker me, I wanna pair up with a deer rifle this fall'.:les:

Take care, Craig

Clayed Spring creek hunter

08-31-2010 07:34 PMwdtorque
Nice. Good photos and descriptions. Simple and Clean.
Dozier

Dozier, Thanks, That is the best compliment I struggle a lot with keeping that focus when I'm making knives.

09-01-2010 01:43 AMcdent
I think it's great how you put the woodworking tools into play for this wip. That panel on the last picture is whispering 'checker me, I wanna pair up with a deer rifle this fall'.

Take care, Craig

Craig, I have often thought the same thing. Only I don't checker
but I do texture.:biggrin:

09-01-2010 01:53 AMshakie
Great stuff there, better than cable tv...

Shakie, Thanks of course this is better than cable tv:lol:

I should have some more progress tomorrow going to spend time with the wife tonite.

Bing
MLazyB Custom Knives
ABS Journeyman Smith

Great pics Bing and we get a shop tour to boot... cant wait to see more.
Gordon

Great pics Bing and we get a shop tour to boot... cant wait to see more.
Gordon
Gordon good to hear from you. I see you are on the list for the Boise show. :)

I finished up late last nite.
After I router out the profile. I like to knock off all that high spot with the slack belt.
IMG_0695.jpg

Then I go to the hand finishing. I start with 150 grit and progress to 600 somtimes even 800
IMG_0697.jpg
Then I use this little trick. This is a strip of old Wrangler jeans. You gotto stay GREEN as much as you can:biggrin:
IMG_0699.jpg
And finally we are ready to call it finished

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

Thanks for following,

Bing
MLazyB Custom Knives
ABS Journeyman Smith

I talked with the group that are doing the Auction for the family who lost their father and husband. It actually turns out that this was a double fatality. Both men were young under 40 and a very tragic accident. We are a fairly small community here and when somthing like this happens every buddy pulls together to help those who need it. I'm proud to live in an area where everybody still cares about their neighbors.

That turned out great, Bing. Cool WIP. I learned a bit about the clay hardening and the blue jean polishing tip as well. The handle looks extremely comfortable and very well finished. I'm going to try that with my old blue jeans. Nice work.

Back