Another Mistake I made in "Forge Welding Stainless Steel" thread.

Wayne Coe

Forum Owner - Moderator
In this thread I said: "
You can keep in mind that round stock has 20% less volume than square. So if you square 1" of 1 1/4 round you should get 1" square 1" long. Then if you draw that out to 3/4" square it should be 1 1/4" long. Of course you are not going to start forging with such small pieces and don't forget that you will loose some to scaling. In mild steel we allow another 20% but that can be much more or much less, depending on your technique. So lets see, 1" of 1 1/4 makes about 1 1/4" of 3/4" square and you need 2 1/2" so if you start off with about a foot to have something manageable and that you can hold onto in the press you could forge the first 2", check it out, and if needs be, forge a little more.

Have fun and let us know how it works out. "

There are two mistakes here,,,and no one called me on it.
1. Round stock actually has 18 and a fraction percent less volume than Square. I use the 20% figure because it is easier to figure in my head.
2. The allowance for stock loss for scaling is 2% not 20%. I don't consider that in my calculations because I already have some fudge factor built in by using the 20% figure rather than 18+% figure.

I hope that this clears up my mi..mis..mistake. Durn it is hard to say that.

Wayne, Mistakes happen.. well at least they happen to me! lol
Thanks for posting. I figured the 20% stock loss was a typo.. the other 20% less info Was new to me, and I believe you were close enough for the purpose..
Thanks for clearing that up....

Randy

I hope that this clears up my mi..mis..mistake. Durn it is hard to say that.

here,let me help ya with that...

mis·take
   /mɪˈsteɪk/ Show Spelled [mi-steyk] Show IPA noun, verb, -took, -tak·en, -tak·ing.
–noun
an error in action, calculation, opinion, or judgment caused by poor reasoning, carelessness, insufficient knowledge, etc.
a misunderstanding or misconception.
–verb (used with object)
to regard or identify wrongly as something or someone else: I mistook him for the mayor.
to understand, interpret, or evaluate wrongly; misunderstand; misinterpret.
–verb (used without object)
to be in error.
:nothing::biggrin:
(yeah,I'm a cheeky monkey ;) )

Last edited:
To err is human. To correct one's own mistake or clarify a possible misunderstanding shows professionalism and a dedication to excellence.

Donuts for everyone! Even the cheeky monkeys :D

Wayne... with or without fresh Wisconsin mild cheddar?

And... do you want that hot-rolled, cold-rolled, hot-rolled-annealed or cold-rolled-annealed?!?!?!?

Last edited:
Back