Considering buying a full lot of old blanks for scaling, need assistance

CTaylorJr

The knife blanks are perfect for the BBQ community that I am affiliated with in my main hobby. Hollow ground, flat cutting edge, perfect for slicing briskets, etc... BUT, before I start to buy I would like to know what the hardness is of the blank. I don't want to send folks a knife that needs sharpening after each 6 slices. :what!: Most of us have bought those before!

I know a few are out there that have the testers, and I would like to send one to someone that can give me a good idea of what the blanks test out at.

Thus far I have purchased one blank, it looks like the critter the folks are asking for, and it will make a great knife IF it is hard enough to keep the edge.

Anyone willing to do a "cheap" test for me on the one I have? I'll pay shipping both ways and a nominal fee for the test if it's within my price range?

For the record, the folks that want to buy these knives KNOW that I did not make the blade, I am only scaling and personalizing it for them... I don't bootleg. :)

Charlie

Hey Charlie,

Why not find a local machine shop or engineer that has a tester. That way you don't have to pay shipping and you find more contacts. Most guys are willing to help out. If I had a tester I'd do it.

Pat

Hey Charlie,

Why not find a local machine shop or engineer that has a tester. That way you don't have to pay shipping and you find more contacts. Most guys are willing to help out. If I had a tester I'd do it.

Pat

DUH!!! Thanks for pointing out the OBVIOUS to me! :35:

We have 3 different machine shops as vendors at work and I DID NOT think about them at all!

After seeing this I called one of the reps and have the blade in his hand for testing tomorrow! Um, no charge as well... :what!:

Thanks Pat, sometimes I am a bit dense...

Charlie

Heck yeah, that's what I was gonna say, too. Machinists are often pretty friendly about helping out with that sort of thing, especially if they already know ya.

Bring a box of donuts for the crew when you pick up the tested blade :) It can't possibly hurt to make friends with those folks. Might ask if they have cut-offs of tool steel they can't use, maybe get in on an order of barstock with them in exchange for a free knife, stuff like that. "Old-School" networking, y'know.

I hope the project works out well for you!

Last edited:
Why not just sharpen one and use it. See how it works. I don't depend on testing. I make 'em work 'em and see how the work.

I can confirm the dense part. OOPS!!! Did I really type that?

:31: Um, kinda guilty of that one... But, I only grabbed hot metal once... :biggrin:

I do plan to scale this blank tomorrow, and as I told Bob, I plan to brass rod test and use it to slice and dice some beef meats! Real world use does say a lot for a blade, and hopefully I can find out pretty quick on a brisket this weekend.

The main reason for getting the critter tested was to HAVE the data when asked about it...

Charlie

Charlie, you KNOW you have to post results and pictures now?
Especially since you got all this excellent information So fast.
I had an idea but forgot what it was. Dozier

Last edited:
The scales will be going on pretty soon this morning and then I get to attack the honey do list... yard, garage, etc...

As the weekend progresses I SHOULD be able to toss a brisket on and then get some pics of the semi-final knife in action...

Charlie

Charlie....
You gotta be able to cook a brisket while you are doing a few things for the wife?
Don't tease Mr. Coe, it ain't nice. Get to cookin! Dozier

Charlie....
You gotta be able to cook a brisket while you are doing a few things for the wife?
Don't tease Mr. Coe, it ain't nice. Get to cookin! Dozier

Well, I hope that the sample that he sends me isn't so tough that it dulls my knives.
Brisket can be tough, that is why we smoke it for hours. I generally use apple wood or pecan shells. I moved away from the mesquite country long ago.

So.......do I get some brisket for being Captain Obvious? I love good brisket Charlie. What are you using for handles?

Pat

Don't you have one of those big hydraulic meat tenderizers?

Heck yeah! Tenderize that son-of-a... I mean sumbiscuit... I mean sum-brisket in Big Blu, Wayne!

good gravy, where's the smiley for "I made myself tip over laffin"? :D I'm picturing a 6-pound chunk of beef forged down to about 30 feet of steak-umms, four foot wide. Might need to make a special set of dies for that, tho.

Last edited:
Wayne, shipped brisket just tastes BAD! :p

My MAIN hobby is custom BBQ. That is truly my first love in life... Seeing one of my guests bite into a piece of meat and just sigh, gets me going!

Tell you what, if I ever get the opportunity to get to one of the knife events in your area, I'll do the cooking! I too have moved away from mesquite (about 15 years ago) since it is too overpowering for a brisket. Hickory, REAL lump charcoal, and a touch of pecan are all that touch my meats. ALL of my meats are cooked to TEMP and NOT by time... I tell folks on a regular basis, the ONLY thing you need with numbers on it next to the pit is a thermometer, a clock will screw you regular!

Now, about sharing secrets... I have shared a LOT of my secrets for the last several years. You can find it here: http://www.crankybuzzard.com/CrankyBuzzardBBQWorkbook.xls

James, I too had a giggle when I thought about a chunk of meat in a 30 ton press! Would be GREAT for prepping JERKY! :lol:

Charlie

Pat, I meant to add this to the above thread, but forgot since I got into BBQ mode! :what!:

Well, since this is a knife designated for the BBQer, the first choice would be scales made from wood made for the pit!

I plan to offer these knives scaled in the following:

Stabilized Mesquite (the one I am making now has this)
Stabilized Hickory
Stabilized Pecan
Micarta of choice (this will be for the caterers and folks that need/require food grade materials)

The blade I sent over to my machinist buddy tested at an average of 56 HRC, but the brass rod test looks good thus far. The proof will be cutting a LOT of different things on the 4 different types of cutting boards I have available.

Charlie

Back