Visit From A Friend (and New Knife)

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
I received a call while I was out on the training lane today from Mr. Keith Willis. As soon as I finished my last class I gave him a call back to find out he was in town for part of the day.

I've been inviting Keith over for a few months now and we were able to finally meet up for a visit. I think we would have both enjoyed a bit longer of a visit, but it was hot and I already smelled pretty ripe after spending all morning outside in the sun. Regardless, I had a real good time finally having the opportunity to meet Keith.

He surprised me when he came in the shop and handed me a little knife and told me he wanted to give it to me. Man, this is a SHARP little knife. When I say "SHARP", I mean both physically and aesthetically. Keith did a great job on this little piece. I've enjoyed following Keith's work on the forum over the past few months since I've made his aquaintance and look forward to continueing to follow his work.

I'll quit pecking at my keys and show you guys a quick pic I took a few minutes ago. Hopefully Keith will come along and give specifics about his work on this one.

IMG_0186.jpg

Thanks for the kind words Murph.
Yes Rusty,it is good to have friends.What Murph did not tell,was,he cut me a piece of 1095,that I could try out.
He also gave me a piece of paper Micarta.
Aside from the gifts...I will always consider Murph as a friend.I also intend on visiting more often,who knows,
maybe Murph can teach me something......I am hoping he will invite me over and teach me how to cook a ribeye,or how to
cook fish,or boil crawfish,or.....well,you get the pic:biggrin:

The knife is SKS5 carbon steel,
The handle is Lacewood and Rosewood(given to me by Ironwolf) with stainless colbys
there is a few mistakes on the handle,but,glad you like it.

Thanks friend,

God bless,Keith

Last edited:
Keith, you missed out on the crawfish boil, sorry. We might throw some steaks on the grill and some steel in the fire some time and make a night of it.

Thanks for the kind words Pieter.I think I am blessed to have made the friendships,
that I have made,over this past year.I hope to some day have the opportunity to
meet more of you.

God bless,Keith

Pieter, it's always good to make friends. Wealth can be measured in two ways, by financial gain and accumulation or by the gain of friendships and respect of others. Though I often joke that "I sure wish I had been born rich as opposed to so damn good lookin" ( we all know that's not true), I have gained a great level of wealth through the true friendships I have developed over my 35 years of life. I can honestly say that since the founding of KD, my wealth has multiplied many times over and continues to grow each day.

In the 46 years I've been kickin' up dust, I've had a little money,briefly,here and there.
I've learned that there's being Rich,and there's being Wealthy...
Being Rich usually means that you don't lack for money to buy the things you need,and want,
but do you truly have the time and freedom to enjoy it?
Bill Gates has an empire,and access to more money than I can imagine,
however,he can't wake up tomorrow morning and decide "I'm gonna take off without telling anyone,and disappear for a week to visit a friend".
He has to make arrangements for someone to 'man the helm' while he's gone... that ain't freedom,that's a Temporary Pass.
He's got a chain around his leg,and Money is on the other end of it.

A man who can call up a friend,jump into his truck on the spur of the moment and go visit for a spell, move some hot metal
share some knowledge,laughs,inspiration and/or create something together...
now that's a Wealthy man.

Murph,you're a Good Man,and you've some Good Friends,
and I'm glad to see a Wealthy Man among Wealthy Men.

Keith,that's one very sweet looking design,and nicely crafted;
minor cosmetic 'flaws' aside,I'm willing to bet it's a worthy companion to ride Murph's hip:
I know I'd be pleased and proud to!

Last edited:
I had a chance to test this blade out a bit last night for some template work. I've been working on modifying a design for another maker who I visited last week. He has a really awesome folder design that I loved and I'm trying to encourage him to make it in a small fixed blade. Anyway......

I've gotten ahold of some pretty cool carboard stock which is used in some of our ammo crates that is very solid, heavy, and has a heavy wax coating. The scissors I have really didn't want to do detailed cutting and I couldn't find my exacto knife. When I started looking around for a blade with a super sharp tip, the knife Keith gave me seemed to fit the bill the best of all of my knives. Man, the tip of this knife cuts like a scalpel. I knew the blade had a great edge but WOW!!! I really can't think of any better words to describe how well it cut this stuff and it's really tuff. I'll quit babling now and just say, "Thank You" once again. I'm very happy with this blade.

lol,every proud daddy is allowed to babble and show off his newest child,or knife...
it's kinda expected,no?:biggrin:
:35:

Thanks Murph,I am nervous,each time I either sell a knife,or give one away.
I'm not sure if that will ever change or not.I certainly feel a sense of relief and
accomplishment,when someone offers up a positive review.I hope I can
continue,to offer a decent product at a decent price,all the while learning
and getting better with each one.
Thanks brother,

God bless,Keith

Back