The good kiln Co.

S

shakie

Anybody know anything about them. They have a small kiln on sale now for half the price of a Paragon or evenheat. Tell me something good, my antique gas forge is on its last leg and all I can afford...:confused2:

These are "Sugar Creek" kilns. I know several makers here who use thier products and love them. Boss is now a dealer for them.

I have their Big Knife Kiln with digital controller. I feel that it is a good kiln for a great price... though the digital controls do add a bit to the final cost. I have only worked with simple carbon steel temps (near or below 1500F), but it is my understanding that these kilns may be a bit slower than similar Paragon and Evenheat kilns at reaching some stainless HT temps (~2000F).

Erin

I also have the 24" one with digital controls. Takes about an hr&1/2 to get to 1950, and that bugs me. I HT ss and 0-1 and do the anealing of 75/80 in it.
All other carbon steel is treated in the gas forge.
When it gets up to temp It needs to cycle for a few min to line out but that is true with all ovens. If I had to do it over --For the money--I would still buy it

Jerry

I'd HIGHLY recommend a digital with any oven you choose. The manual controller will require constant attention to maintain temp, and on a 40 minute soak, that's a lot of wasted time. I've heard good things about the sugar creek ovens as well.

--nathan

Thanks guys, I'm sold now I just gotta convince my financial advisor..

I just bid on one at ebay last night but it went for what you could buy it new from Sugar creek the company who made it, thought I was getting it cheap guess someone wanted it more.

Fellas i looked at the Sugar Creek site but did not see any options that said DIGITAL controller.

Is this a DIY add-on?

Shane,
I wanted more info and e-mailed them.
I forget the price but that was the only option offered. They were quick to respond.

Rudy

Just a heads up.

I shot them an email too. They said the digital whiz bangs run another $250.

Which doesnt seem too bad a deal....considering the alternatives which means BIG $$$$

Back