Another Warning: concealed carry permit , maybe knives also

Wayne Coe

Forum Owner - Moderator
I recieved this e-mail this morning. I too have been asked these questions at VA clinics. It very well may get you reported regarding carrying knives. Maybe neither, it might just get you on a watch list or no-fly list.
I am not posting this as a political statement and hope that no one considers it to violate our no politics policy.
From a Vietnam Vet and retired Police Officer:
I had a doctors appointment at the local VA clinic yesterday and found out something very interesting that I would like to pass along. While going through triage before seeing the doctor, I was asked at the end of the exam, three questions:
1. Did I feel stressed?

2. Did I feel threatened?
3. Did I feel like doing harm to someone?

The nurse then informed me, that if I had answered yes to any of the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have gone into my medical records and the VA would have reported it to Homeland Security. Looks like they are going after the vets first.
Other gun people like retired law enforcement will probably be next. Then when they go after the civilians, what argument will they have? Be forewarned and be aware.
The Obama administration has gone on record as considering veterans and gun owners potential terrorists. Whether you are a gun owner veteran or not, you've been warned.
If you know veterans and gun owners, please pass this on to them. Be very cautious about what you say and to whom.

It's crap like this that could make someone feel stressed, threatened, or like doing harm to someone.

Thanks for the heads up, Wayne.

--nathan

And the scary part is that they ask me those questions every time I go in. I always think, "Its been 45 years since I was in the service. Why would they be asking questions like that now? It's kinda late for Battlefield Stress Sindrome to be showing up." Now I know why they ask those questions. And they have never told me what would happen if I answered "Yes".

Thanks for the heads up, Wayne. I've been asked those questions a number of times, also. If you are ever asked, "Do you feel like doing harm to yourself?" you had better answer no or you can plan on at least 72 hours in a rubber room.

It saddens,infuriates and disgusts me that those clowns are targeting those who Gave and Give...
On one hand,I understand why they are taking into account those who have been trained for combat and have skills that civilians generally lack,
but there are others that come from other places that present a larger concern.
When a governing body throws down on those it trains to protect and serve, that's a sure sign that it's up to something that it fears
might generate resistance and reprisal...(but that ain't news,is it?)

As a veteran, it concerns me that these issues would be reported to other agencies when the HIPPA Law protects your medical privacy. As a professional, I understand why medical facilities ask these questions particularly where our current veterans are concerned.

There is an alarming number of servicemembers who suffer from Post Tramatic Stress Disorder. The crazy thing about P.T.S.D. is that it effects each individual differently. Some personnel develop sleep disorders where as others may develop an eating disorder. A small percentage of veterans who suffer from P.T.S.D. become suicidal or may even become agressive towards others. That small percentage of personnel are an extreme danger to themselves and possibly others.

Where we as healthy personnel immediately feel as though our rights are being threatened, the real intent of these questions to target the few who could possibly be a threat to themselves and others and provide them with the treatment needed. What we must keep in mind is that these questions should never be taken lightly and always answered honestly. There are now hundreds of thousands of veterans in our great nation, most of which have served honorably and returned home and readjusted to civilian life. Compared to prior wars and conflicts, the major difference concerning P.T.S.D. is that the military and V.A. now have a better understanding of the illness and are taking steps to better treat those who suffer.

If the questions being asked do not apply to you, it's easy to just say "no".

Well said Murph. I knew that you would put this in its proper prospective.
I agree that people with PTSD need help and treatment. At the same time agencies should not over react and as you said, what happend to medical confidentality. This might be something that I should have checked out on Scoops.
I too am concerned about the medical confidentiality issue but, at the same time we need to consider, what if the VA has this information, does not properly report it, then the person, hijacks a plane or shoots up a shopping center? Don't forget that doctors and hospitals are required to report stabbings or gun shot injuries.

It sure is something to think about,,,,and be concerned about. We sure don't want to throw the baby out with the wash water.

Wayne, if I recall correctly, the questions that are asked are:

1. Are you/Have you considered harming yourself or taking your own life?
2. Are you/Have you considered harming others?

A "Yes" answer to either of these questions will get you reported to your local law enforcement agency. This IS NOT an "Obama Adiministration" rule, law, or regulation. This question was asked to me during my initial evaluation when I first registered with the V.A. after my first deployment in 2002. I also recall nurses asking the same question to any patient who appeared to be under emotional strain when I was working security for a hospital in college (during the Clinton Administration). It falls under public safety and is reportable at any time.

I'm not one to jump into a political discussion nor arguement, but I feel as though the e-mail you received may have been worded as to best serve the political agenda of the original author.

I'm not one to jump into a political discussion nor arguement, but I feel as though the e-mail you received may have been worded as to best serve the political agenda of the original author.

Yes Murph, That is why I put in the comment that I was not posting it for political reasons.

BEWARE

My wife read an article a couple of days ago that the doctors are going to start asking if you own any firearms .

I have been service connected for PTSD at 100% schedular for 20 years . All ptsd is is a natural reaction to an unatural event . There is no cure , only treatment for symtomology. The Question posed Are You/ have you considered harming others ??? who hasnt ? Its real easy to say no . I was a national service officer for the VVA and the VFW. Best thing to do is keep your lips buttoned ... Respectfully ...... Bubba

I never served in the military. I do not have PTSD.

Have I EVER wanted to harm others? Has it occurred to me in the last 24 hours that if I just knocked a certain dumb punk on his backside, my life would be a little easier? Did I feed that little (blank) a knuckle-sandwich or swallow my pride and walk away?

I decline to answer that.

Cheese an rice, questions like that could put everyone on the planet under scrutiny. I think that's scary. Does that make me paranoid?

More importantly... it bugs me that folks who might truly need a little help, won't get it for fear of being "labeled" a certain way. That just plain sucks.

Last edited:
There is an alarming number of servicemembers who suffer from Post Tramatic Stress Disorder. .

Why do you suppose that is, Murph? It seems there are more cases of PTSD from the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts than from previous wars. In comparison to Vietnam they are small conflicts with far fewer casualties, yet you at least hear of more cases. I know there were cases from WW2, but they seemed few and far between. I never personally knew of anyone with it. My mother was an Army nurse. She ran the triage tent with the 121 Field Evacuation Hospital and spent several months in France. Even with all the carnage she saw and had to deal with she was as "normal" as could be. So what's going to that so many vets are coming back with PTSD?

Personal Opinion:

I don't feel that there are necessarily a larger percentage of personnel statistically. I do feel as though there are a much greater number of personnel who "self report" and request help as compared to previous wars and conflicts. There are also much better screening methods for identifying personnel who may have never been identified. When you couple this together, you have a much higher number than has been identified in previous wars and conflicts.

Prior to recent conflicts, the was a very negative stigma that followed personnel who admittedly had problems. Peers often looked at an individual as though they were weak and unable to "man up" even when they themselves were suffering from similar problems. Due to ignorance that stigma still exists but thankfully it is on a much smaller scale. PTSD is not cureable, but it is treatable. Many servicemembers identify themselves and seek assistance both in theatre and at home. A very large percentage of those who are identified or self identify in theatre recieve treatment with a brief respit from mission status and fall right back with thier teams. Compared to those in the past who were "too tough" to ask for help, those who seek help today have a much higher likelihood of leading more productive lives both professionally and personally.

The key is to learn to identify your individual source and triggers and then learn to control them. PTSD is no just a problem for servicemembers. I have several friends who work as EMT/Paramedic, Firefighter, and Law Enforcement who have had to seek assistance as well. I'm sure there are other professions who are at risk, but these are your most common.

Last edited:
Thanks Murph , I dont have any numbers on afghan and Iraq vets with ptsd but , At one time around 30% of vietnam vets were diagnosed the the problem. You have to remember that The US had 500,000 troops at one time and over 2.5 million served there .Although some may have a problem that the percentage of Vietnam vets diagnosed with a stress disorder such as PTSD has 'officially' dropped from 30.9% to 18.7%, that figure still represents a lot of people. Others agree: Lots of vets refuse help ! PTSD can also have a delayed onset of symtomology , like years !! all it takes is a stressor . Many Iraq and afghan war vets will experience this long after being discharged . All the while thinking everything is fine .!! It is a daily struggle ............ for those of you who are suffering and need help Please go to this site Kenneth Carpenter is the lead attorney , he is like Johnny Cochran of ptsd cases

http://www.vetadvocates.com/index.html

Last edited:
Crazy. Why would a doctor even ask these questions..And it isn't like you are under oath. Who says you can't lie and say you don't have them. The only person I would answer truthfully (if even at all) would be an LEO.

Back